Broken blood feather? Remove?

WesterBee

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Central Oregon
I was cleaning the girls coop and hanging out with them when I noticed blood coming from my light Brahma’s rump after she preened. Upon further investigation it appears to be a broken blood feather. It looks awfully painful so I’m wondering if I ought to pull it or try to get it to clot?

Attachments

• IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 7
oh wow it does look painful but also looks like its clotting already? if you do choose to pull it out (with pliers) you have to be committed to a strong yank. what are you using to get it to clot?

oh wow it does look painful but also looks like its clotting already? if you do choose to pull it out (with pliers) you have to be committed to a strong yank. what are you using to get it to clot?
I’m hoping to avoid the quick, strong yank pliers maneuver and I kind of think we might just be ok since it does seem to be clotting. There was a small amount of blood after she preened so I picked her up for inspection and it was actually already scabbed over so I’m thinking in preening she partially removed some of the scab. Regretfully I accidentally removed the scab cleaning the blood off of her feathers to avoid pecking by her mates and that is when I took the photos. I haven’t used anything to aid in clotting but have styptic on hand if we need it.

I’m hoping to avoid the quick, strong yank pliers maneuver and I kind of think we might just be ok since it does seem to be clotting. There was a small amount of blood after she preened so I picked her up for inspection and it was actually already scabbed over so I’m thinking in preening she partially removed some of the scab. Regretfully I accidentally removed the scab cleaning the blood off of her feathers to avoid pecking by her mates and that is when I took the photos. I haven’t used anything to aid in clotting but have styptic on hand if we need it.
i was thinking about the possibility of covering the blood with blu kote to prevent other birds pecking at it, i did a search and copied this
I recommend following up with a spray or two of Blu-kote to cover any remaining blood. Especially if you have a light colored bird.

Back
Top Bottom