How to treat pecked out feathers that drew blood

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I posted about this yesterday in the behaviors section, but I need to know how to treat the wounds my larger hens caused to my almost 10 week old pullet. There wasn't any broken skin but as you can see in my photos the feathers were plucked out at the root and it was pretty bloody. I washed her best I could with warm water and sprayed some Vetericyn on the area yesterday. This morning the blood is completely dried up. Do I need to do anything else? How long should I wait before putting her back with all the others? I have her isolated in the run to make sure they can't further damage the area. Do I need to continue cleaning her? Will the dried blood attract the other hens to the area? Yesterday I couldn't even keep her with the other pullets because even they started going for the blood. Pics from yesterday right after the incident.

IMG_3413.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

This is a very common issue. Once a chicken notices the blood rich pin feathers are a juicy, handy snack, they keep hounding the victim. I do two things.

One is to spray Vetericyn wound spray on the fresh wounds to prevent bacteria from forming an abscess. The second, after the Vetericyn dries, is to carefully paint Blue-kote on the fresh stubs. Use a Q-tip and avoid getting this stuff on you as it stains. Let dry. This will further keep bacteria at bay and will turn the pin feathers purple which is a neutral color that won't cause chickens to want to peck.

This is a very common issue. Once a chicken notices the blood rich pin feathers are a juicy, handy snack, they keep hounding the victim. I do two things.

One is to spray Vetericyn wound spray on the fresh wounds to prevent bacteria from forming an abscess. The second, after the Vetericyn dries, is to carefully paint Blue-kote on the fresh stubs. Use a Q-tip and avoid getting this stuff on you as it stains. Let dry. This will further keep bacteria at bay and will turn the pin feathers purple which is a neutral color that won't cause chickens to want to peck.
Thank you. How long do you wait before reintroducing the chicken to the flock?

No need to remove her from the flock, but watch to see that the Blue-kote has deterred the pecking. This is a very good example for why a 'jail" section is a very handy thing to have in every run. I sectioned off a four x eight corner of the run and it's handy for letting a picked-on chicken get a break, a sick or weak chicken to recover, and I even brood chicks in it. This way, the chicken is never removed from the flock and no reintro is necessary.

No need to remove her from the flock, but watch to see that the Blue-kote has deterred the pecking. This is a very good example for why a 'jail" section is a very handy thing to have in every run. I sectioned off a four x eight corner of the run and it's handy for letting a picked-on chicken get a break, a sick or weak chicken to recover, and I even brood chicks in it. This way, the chicken is never removed from the flock and no reintro is necessary.
Yes that’s what I did yesterday. I have her in a dog crate in the run in plain site. My younger pullets (part of her brood) aren’t bothering the area anymore so I let her sleep with them last night. I’m going to get some blu kote today. And hopefully get her back with the whole flock in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom