Broken Bottom Beak - Need Words of Wisdom- Added Pictures

daytonfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Maryland
I have a rooster that has a broken/cracked bottom beak, way back, not near the tip, its at the base of the beak. He is able to eat and drink but it is painful and difficult for him. It is not dangling but it is not in the correct spot. Like he has a minor scissor beak. His top beak could be trimmed back to help position it better when closed, but then it would be more exposed to being bumped. Any suggestions? Super glue?

He just ate a large amount of yogurt,banana and crumble mixed together. He needs it chunky to throw back in his mouth. I tried soupy and that didn't work. I have his water up high so he can scoop it better and he also has a nipple waterer that he uses up high.
I believe he did this fighting through the fence with another rooster, though not real sure. He's not that coordinated getting down off his perch, which is about 18" off the ground with another board to hop on also. I've heard a lot of noise when he gets up and down. He is very large.

Close up of break

Last edited:
I would try to super glue. not sure if this would work too but the bandaid liquid. How did he crack it?
I would also soften up his food, then he can use the top beak like a scooper instead of trying to peck at everything and causing more pain. Plus he will get food and water at the sametime instead of struggling to peck at each..

I have a rooster that has a broken/cracked bottom beak, way back, not near the tip, its at the base of the beak. He is able to eat and drink but it is painful and difficult for him. It is not dangling but it is not in the correct spot. Like he has a minor scissor beak. His top beak could be trimmed back to help position it better, but then it would be more exposed to being bumped. Any suggestions? Super glue?

I will post pictures soon
Yes, you can use superglue(gel is best,not so runny)and cut a teabag up as a patch to put over break. Hold break together till glue is dry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom