Broken Coturnix Wing 3-4 week old

I had 2 times a broken wing till now, both healed fine.
Of course it hurts, but pecking wounds do either and we let them heal.

I taped the wing... the quail hated it, but it gave the bone the time to fix. More moving and flapping just breaks it again, before it hardened.
First I taped both wings, like I saw as a pigeon breeder did it, but she fell all the time and had problems to get up. Just taping one wing worked better.

After 8 days and I removed the tape (she hated it even more, and some feathers got stuck on the tape) but she is fine now.

20200703_202049.jpg

The skin isn't broken, so I hope I dont have to worry about infections. Can it get infected when the skin isn't broken? Also, how do I keep him immobilized?

Thank you for that. I just have them as pets so I will not eat him if I cull, also he is very tiny and would just be like eating a single chicken nugget as a meal 🤣.

He is just a baby(ish) right now so he isn't crowing and still has a bit to go before then. All of his friends are chill since they are all 'babies' too, so do I need to separate him?

I tried a splint type thing with some fabric, but he just kept falling over like it was binding his legs, which it wasn't. I will try with some ace bandage type stuff tomorrow when I get some. This thread someone made a splint and it also failed, so I'm not really sure to do. I want it to be set right just for his quality of life, but if not, my ladies (and boys now I guess) don't do too much flying even when I let them out in their ground pen, so that might not be too big of an issue.
I found this guy, seems to know what he is doing

If he’s really young, I’d leave him alone for a bit and see if he heals on his own. But I’ve been known to try to “save” quail for too long in the past. In retrospect, I wish I’d put a couple down Sooner.
How young do you mean? He is 4 weeks old tomorrow.

My humble opinion, if you see him unable to stand up and lethargic don't hesitate to cull him. He will be infected and suffering. I only lost one bird till now and I regret waiting and hoping and being coward
He can stand up. I agree with that. I will update when I go check on him.

So this morning when I checked on him he was doing great. I checked on his wing and there is minor bruising and swelling, so that might be bad. I taped it up with some tape meant for skin, I just hope it will stay on all day. He was running and catching a little spider that got in the brooder with his friends, so all is normal, lets just hope his wing heals all right.

So this morning when I checked on him he was doing great. I checked on his wing and there is minor bruising and swelling, so that might be bad. I taped it up with some tape meant for skin, I just hope it will stay on all day. He was running and catching a little spider that got in the brooder with his friends, so all is normal, lets just hope his wing heals all right.
Oh, if he's doing that well, I'd just leave him alone. Young animals have soft bones, and they usually don't "break".

I had a duckling once (a few weeks old) who got a leg caught in a fence. She was dragging the leg behind her, so I kept her in a smallish cage, away from the flock, thinking she might not make it.

Within a week, she was fine.

Also, rescued a young chicken that was being chewed on by a dog. Washed it off, tried to massage it's dislocated wing back into place as gently as possiblle..put it in a cage and limited it's movement, and it was fine within a few days.

In most cases, I think splinting is more trouble than it's worth. But that's just my experience/opinion.

20201210_190800.jpg
He(/she???) is all right now! Quick recovery! His(her???) bruise under his wing is already gone! Since he(/she???) had to deal with me so much looking under his(/her???) wing, he/she is really calm. He/she might be my favorite! Dont tell the others! 🤫

Back
Top Bottom