Broken Down Run Substrate in Raised Bed?

wallawu

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2016
I'll try to be brief. Our duck run and house are at one end of the yard towards the creek. I cover the ground with straw to keep it clean and nicer looking probably every other month. After long periods of rain, they pitter patter that stuff into a thick mud that clogs up the fence pickets and the yard doesn't drain well. We're filling a raised bed with probably 3 cubic yards of blended soil. Can we incorporate some of this into the bed or will it be too harsh? We will be starting with young pepper, tomato, and squash so far. I was thinking it might be good to sprinkle it on top to break down over the next few months? Haven't used this stuff before. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200401_133412.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. A few inches of this have built up and it's ruining the drainage of my yard.

I've used fairly fresh stuff and it was fine, just adding not too much and blending it in well. I never can seem to use it all up, but at least some! If you can get to the bottom and use that first that's best, where it's already decomposed. I would be careful about using the very top layer of hay/manure where it's very fresh, although with small amounts it should be ok.

I've used fairly fresh stuff and it was fine, just adding not too much and blending it in well. I never can seem to use it all up, but at least some. If you can get to the bottom and use that first that's best, where it's already decomposed.

So should that be tilled in or sprinkled on top?

I think it would be fine. I mulched with my "used" hay in the vegetable garden all last year and the year before with no problem. Duck poop isn't as strong as chicken poop is so the danger of burning is very low.
So on top?

Back
Top Bottom