Broken duck neck!? help

briannac

Hatching
Mar 6, 2024
Hi i’m new here but I have a really serious question so my brother sad looked out our window to see one of our ducks floating in the water lying down and my mom went to go take it out we thought maybe it drowned but it’s neck was broken. I’ll add a picture so you know what i’m talking about and you can maybe help thank you.

Does anyone know how a duck breaks it’s neck did something get in and break it? But then we also have 5 others in there also

9E3ED844-EA0C-4A28-813A-D140360E6DA0.jpeg

It looks like your duck has wry neck (torticolis.) Is she still alive? It can be common in ducks and chickens, and may be caused by head injuries or vitamin E deficiencies. You could try giving some human vitamin E softgels 400 IU daily, with a little cooked egg for selenium. Could she have been injured? If she has died I am sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. :hugs Was it female, and do you have a drake? My guess would be too aggressive mounting.
Thank you, it’s definitely heart breaking every time i think about it i feel like i’m gonna cry. Just feel bad for my dad since he’s loved them and took care of them ever since we got them. I’m pretty sure it was a female couldn’t really tell though my dad thinks we had a even number of females and males

Thank you, it’s definitely heart breaking every time i think about it i feel like i’m gonna cry. Just feel bad for my dad since he’s loved them and took care of them ever since we got them. I’m pretty sure it was a female couldn’t really tell though my dad thinks we had a even number of females and males
If you have multiple drakes, you need at least 4-5 hens per male, sometimes more than that. Drakes can get very aggressive and overzealous when it comes to mating, and can accidently drown or injure (or break necks?) the hens, even in shallow water.

By the looks of the ducks in the photo, their plenty old to sex. Females are louder and make the distinctive quack quack sound. Males are quiter and have a raspy voice that sounds more like a whap whap. Males will also develop a curly tail feather (which they can lose during molting, so they don't always have them), and depending on the breed, males will have a darker colored head. And of course, females lay eggs.

It looks like your duck has wry neck (torticolis.) Is she still alive? It can be common in ducks and chickens, and may be caused by head injuries or vitamin E deficiencies. You could try giving some human vitamin E softgels 400 IU daily, with a little cooked egg for selenium. Could she have been injured? If she has died I am sorry for your loss.
No she is not alive once my mom took it out we knew it was dead… just it’s little nexk dangling there not moving at all and thank you
If you have multiple drakes, you need at least 4-5 hens per male, sometimes more than that. Drakes can get very aggressive and overzealous when it comes to mating, and can accidently drown or injure (or break necks?) the hens, even in shallow water.

By the looks of the ducks in the photo, their plenty old to sex. Females are louder and make the distinctive quack quack sound. Males are quiter and have a raspy voice that sounds more like a whap whap. Males will also develop a curly tail feather (which they can lose during molting, so they don't always have them), and depending on the breed, males will have a darker colored head. And of course, females lay eggs.

thank you i will be sending this to my dad

Back
Top Bottom