Broken feather (with blood) on feathered foot. Hurts.

Excellent discussion and advice! Performed my first featherdectomy today. Oreo was bleeding from a foot feather, as soon as I pulled it, she stopped bleeding. I'm keeping her in a temporary pen for a bit just to make sure it doesn't start bleeding again and attract attention from the others. So far, so good! I've found good answers to all my questions without having to start a new topic! Thanks for sharing.

Can someone post a photo of what a broken blood feather looks like? I think I have this situation but am not sure.

I noticed my very fluffy white legghorn frizzle roo had some black between his rear end feathers. I looked and it appeared he had a tick. But he screamed when I tried to take it off.. So I looked around online and I think it is a broken blood feather. I went and looked closer this evening when he was sleepy and it looked like a broken quil or feather stump and sure enough it was red and bloody. It is not pouring out however.

I had dusted him with DE in case it was some kind of mite infection earlier today or a tick. So I will have someone hold him tomorrow while I pluck. I hope hope hope that is what it is. Any other suggestions?

Karen

Can someone post a photo of what a broken blood feather looks like? I think I have this situation but am not sure.

I noticed my very fluffy white legghorn frizzle roo had some black between his rear end feathers. I looked and it appeared he had a tick. But he screamed when I tried to take it off.. So I looked around online and I think it is a broken blood feather. I went and looked closer this evening when he was sleepy and it looked like a broken quil or feather stump and sure enough it was red and bloody. It is not pouring out however.

I had dusted him with DE in case it was some kind of mite infection earlier today or a tick. So I will have someone hold him tomorrow while I pluck. I hope hope hope that is what it is. Any other suggestions?

Karen
This link will help you.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/12/molting-what-is-it-and-how-to-manage-it.html

Thank you so much for all of the information here... my Coachin rooster has broken bleeding feathers... and this is worrysome to me.
I am not sure I could do the "pluck" part... I may have to pay a vet... do you all just pluck them yourselves?

My 18 month our light Brahma rooster has got a cut between his toes. He limps, and sometimes will not put weight on it. I know it has to hurt. I took him in the house, inspected the feet. No bumblefoot, but his nails are too long. He acts like he might have sprained his ankle. I cleaned up his foot the best I could(feather footed), and wrapped up in pink camo vet tape with triple antibiotic ointment. He really won't stand on it now. He is in the coop, I made an area with straw, food and water for him. He has always been a bit clumbsy for a rooster. He weighs about 10 pounds. I checked for swelling and 'heat' no inflammation. I guess it is really sore. What next?

There is no feather in the sheath, but appears the blood is coming out of the sheath. Do I pull the sheath out

Thank you so much for all of the information here... my Coachin rooster has broken bleeding feathers... and this is worrysome to me.
I am not sure I could do the "pluck" part... I may have to pay a vet... do you all just pluck them yourselves?
I think it takes 2 people. I held my Roo and Hubby used pliers (disinfected with alcohol) to gently as possible grab and pull the pin feather out. We were careful, like instructed to pull straight out so it didn’t break off. I had a paper towel with alcohol and held it until the bleeding stopped. He was not happy with us, but hopefully it will resolve his problem. I don’t think I could have done it by myself either. Good luck! Hope yours gets resolved too.

Back
Top Bottom