Broken feathers

Larissa_xoxo3

In the Brooder
May 8, 2019
Canada
Hi there! Im a newbie here but I have been raising chickens for over a year now. The past month I have noticed that some of my girls are loosing feathers, however they appear to be broken off half way up the shaft. I thought it might have been mites or lice so I did a deep cleaning of their coop and actually dusted my girls in DE one a week for 2 weeks now. I physically checked them and I don’t see any bugs or any build up around the base of their feathers. I’m wondering if this may just be a molt? However some of my girls seem completely fine and are not loosing any feathers at all? 2 of girls girls that are badly affect like the picture below have stopped laying as well. I would just like some advice on what this might be and how I can treat them to grow their feathers back! Thanks

Attachments

• 386C43B4-5078-4D71-A450-C88BD8E28A40.jpeg
    386C43B4-5078-4D71-A450-C88BD8E28A40.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 14
Awesome thank you so much! I was just a little worried where there were some girls who didn’t seem to be missing any feathers at all that it could have been something more serious! :)

it's not that then! :idunno
Have they got the lavender gene? I see this with my LAs and I read somewhere that lavender colouration is associated with poor feather quality. That fits with my experience; one of my LAs starts looking pretty ragged from not long after growing a whole new set of feathers after molting (but she suffers from a roo's attention too).

I got them from my local feed store so as far as I know they are just RIR and leghorn whites ! I was talking to another farmer around here and he said that his girls are looking the same and also going through a molt, so I'm hoping that's all it is! Thank you again though! :)

Back
Top Bottom