Lump on rooster’s back (pictures attached)

These air leaks do often resolve on their own as long as the chicken is not behaving sickly. The other form of this is called air sacculitis and is caused by bacteria. It can be serious and life threatening. But this case points to a spontaneous occurrence with spontaneous resolution. If it does recur with the rooster acting sick, get him on an antibiotic as soon as possible.

It's unlikely it will happen again, though.

Possible.
Sometimes they heal on their own.
If the lump is gone, then I'd just monitor for several days and see how it goes.

Is he acting o.k.?
Seems to be. I heard him crowing this morning and saw him trying to mate his ladies so he seems normal. I have a pregnant goat so I was paying more attention to her but I’ll make sure to keep a closer eye on him and check that spot a couple times.

These air leaks do often resolve on their own as long as the chicken is not behaving sickly. The other form of this is called air sacculitis and is caused by bacteria. It can be serious and life threatening. But this case points to a spontaneous occurrence with spontaneous resolution. If it does recur with the rooster acting sick, get him on an antibiotic as soon as possible.

It's unlikely it will happen again, though.
Good to hear! Any recommendations on what kind of antibiotic? I’m still building up my chicken first aid kit.

We use fish mox which is amoxicillin. You can find it on line or at aquarium stores or pet shops. No prescription needed. Dosage for chickens is 250mg per day for seven to ten days.

Back
Top Bottom