Lump on rooster’s back (pictures attached)

ColonelMustard

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023
I was checking my rooster today (had some lice we treated last month) and noticed a large, warm bump below his neck. There are no feathers growing on it. I accidentally plucked a loose feather which is the red dot.

Any ideas as to what this could be? He is acting normal.

Attachments

• IMG_7138.jpeg
    IMG_7138.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7141.jpeg
    IMG_7141.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 13
Does it feel soft like a hematoma (blood under the skin,) air, or hard like a mass? I am going to tag @azygous and @Wyorp Rock who also might have a look.
It feels soft and squishy. Based on how warm it is I believe there is blood (or something else) under. When I pressed on it gently it made kind of a crackling sound (not the whole time just like one crackle)

Strange. That's approximately where his lungs are, tiny things under the spine below the neck. I wonder if somehow a lung has been punctured and is leaking air under the skin. If you are up for it, take a fine needle, sterilize it, and do a shallow poke at the base of the lump and see if air or blood comes out.

Any signs of respiratory distress?

Strange. That's approximately where his lungs are, tiny things under the spine below the neck. I wonder if somehow a lung has been punctured and is leaking air under the skin. If you are up for it, take a fine needle, sterilize it, and do a shallow poke at the base of the lump and see if air or blood comes out.

Any signs of respiratory distress?
None that I’ve seen. I will try the needle and update

So I went to poke with a needle and the area was no longer swelling. I’m thinking maybe the sound I heard was the air going back to wherever it leaked from?
Possible.
Sometimes they heal on their own.
If the lump is gone, then I'd just monitor for several days and see how it goes.

Is he acting o.k.?

Back
Top Bottom