Broken foot?

beth97

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Yesterday morning I went outside to feed my chickens and, I noticed my game hen and her sibling in the goat pen, as I got closer I noticed she was stumbling and attempting to stand, her right leg was the problem. I brought her in and put her under a heat lamp to dry her feathers and to calm down, I also inspected her foot. So far her entire leg above the hock is perfectly fine. Her foot is curled inwards and she isn't using it. I found it swollen and bruised above the middle toe, right on where the three toes connect. I'm thinking it's broke? It was pouring down rain outside last night, and her and her sister stay out to keep my other roo happy, because the one in the coop will eventually injure him. I made a cast outta cardboard (by cutting the shape of her foot out ) and tied her toes to each piece with some gauze so it doesn't cut off the circulation, and so it keeps her from messing up her foot even more. I'm positive it isn't any disease of sickness because the day before yesterday she was in perfect shape, i'm thinking she got her foot caught in something. Have I done all this right? She's eating and drinking perfectly well. The only problem with her is her inability to stand with her right leg
hmm.png

I had a hen last year that strained her leg pretty bad, and for 6 weeks she hobbled on 1 leg, but was able to forage and get up on a short roost at night. She is fine now. I probably would take off the cast to see how well she gets along without it, then consider putting it back on if not.

She can't stand at all. I doubt she could get on the perch. Usually she is impossible to catch, but when I went to pick her up she tried to walk but just kept attempting to stand up and run, but kept falling over. I lightly squeezed her entire leg above her hock to check for pain, but its just her foot.

Back
Top Bottom