Broken heart

It is time to help. The chick has started to unzip but gotten stuck where he can't finish turning. I wouldn't wait any longer.

Okay. I took him out to assist and it looked like the bit where he started to unzip got really dry. I chipped away the rest of the cap, the membrane underneath was soft and moist but I think he was stuck. I put him back in the incubator with some moist paper towel and will check again soon.

Attachments

• 5D9DA504-5029-4B8E-B426-BB62B56710A8.jpeg
    5D9DA504-5029-4B8E-B426-BB62B56710A8.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 11
It's good that you just took the cap off. I think it's best if the chick can push out of the egg on it's own. (I call it 'chick on a half shell' :D) That helps set the tendons in it's legs I've read. Just watch to make sure he does get out. If he doesn't push out soon then you should help. Sometimes when they stay in the shell too long they can have leg problems. So glad the chick is still alive. ;)

I should add that since he has been trying to hatch for so long that he may be too weak to push out. Chip away some more at the shell and try to stimulate him to actually start pushing. He may need some encouragement.

Last edited:
I have helped before too. I get a cup of warm (not too warm water)
A damp cloth, a q tip and tweezers.
I set the egg on the damp cloth, then wet the q tip and dampen the dry membrane. Make sure not to use too much near a nostril. Once the membrane is supple then I carefully pick just the shell off. I leave the membrane. Then put it back in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom