broken leg compound fracture!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlbirdsmisty, Feb 6, 2015.

1. tlbirdsmisty

tlbirdsmisty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    Just rescued almost 20 hens from a starved home with other birds that had died. Finally got the last ones up. But 1 of the hens has a broken leg with bone showing!! What can I do? I cleaned very good but still feel bad

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. tlbirdsmisty

Jan 19, 2015
    I read its a compound fracture and if u keep it clean and u use vetrap it can heal. Was this incorrect? I just saved her I don't want to put her down

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What I meant was, the wound will not heal if the bone is sticking out through it. Compound just means the skin is broken. If the bone is inside, under the skin, it has a decent chance of healing if you clean it and wrap it.
    sShe may never be able to use it normally, though, unless you can set the fracture, that is, put the bones in their normal position so that they heal that way.

5. tlbirdsmisty

Jan 19, 2015
    Her bones not broke through skin but u can see the joint. Its not infected peroxide doesn't bubble no blood n got it wrapped. Should I let breath alittle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by