Broken nail first aid

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
Hi, it's me again. Thank you for all the advice and support you've offered here!
My new goose has two broken nails on one foot- one of which is bleeding.... not profusely, but I've seen occasional drops of blood here and there. I'm pretty certain she injured them pacing the fence when she first got here.
What's the protocol when a goose injures their foot? She's spending plenty of time enjoying her cleaned every day wading pool and is mostly on grass and dirt. On a chicken, I'd keep in clean, dry, and use Vetracyn on it a couple times a day..... not sure what to do for a goose who is constantly in and out of water. I did spray Vetracyn on it before putting her to bed tonight.
Thanks as always!

It sounds like you’re already doing anything right.

Bathing on her part is good, the vetracyn is a good thing to use, other than that all you can do is examine the wound daily to see if it’s getting infected and put her on antibiotics if she starts showing signs of illness, though that’s worst case scenario, I’ve seen a lot of broken nails myself and they seem to clear up fairly well on their own.

Be sure to offer fresh water the goose can stand in for cleaning. You can also use quick stop bleeding powder (stuff that groomers use when clipping nails) if it is does not stop bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom