Broken neck?

drea7876

Hatching
Mar 10, 2016
I woke up this morning and my smallest chick is all limp and not doing well. I think she has a broken neck. She seemed ok last night but something about her just kind of stuck out to me. She was up and moving, but has been the loudest of them all, secluded a lot. This morning at first I thought she was just sleeping, but when I saw another chick just walk over her and she didn't move I knew something was wrong. I picked her up and she was so limp. Just hanging her head, peeping and moving her legs a little bit but her head just flops. I don't know what to do. This is my first time raising chicks. I'm so sad
1f622.png

Last edited:
Try to get her to drink some water with SaveAChick electrolytes by dipping her beak. As a substitute, use a pinch of salt and a tsp of sugar to a quart of warm water, or use pedialyte, or gatorade. Massage her a little gently to wake her, hopefully she is not too far gone. How warm is your brooder lamp?

The brooder is about 80-90 degrees depending on where the thermometer is. I tried some sugar water and she kind of acted like she was startled. But again, her head just flopped around. That's when she did open her eyes. But it was like that little movement expelled all of her energy she might have had left. and her breathing got slower than it had been. Which was slow. I'm prepared for her to be "gone" when I go home to check at lunch time.

Back
Top Bottom