Broken or swaddle baby chick leg?

RLAChristian

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
Chick was born like this. They're on pine shavings, box was just for picture. I vet wrapped it's legs but it seems to be getting worse. No vets will see chick. The only livestock vet available said "birds will cure themselves". I need help on how to cure it. Is this something he will even be able to overcome? I am trying to avoid culling him, it's really trying to survive. Any help is greatly appreciated it

Attachments

• 20230326_085352.jpg
    20230326_085352.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230326_090204_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_090204_Video Player.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried creating a splint or hobble? You should be able to do it with veteran but I've done it even with bandaids. Definitely rule out slipped tendon.

Any variation you can do on the treatment in the video above will help. She used a box, but there are other videos which show you how to make a chick chair.

The key is to get the tendon rolled back into place and splinted properly. You should probably have someone around to help you. Please let us know how it goes.

Have you tried creating a splint or hobble? You should be able to do it with veteran but I've done it even with bandaids. Definitely rule out slipped tendon.
I made a splint out of a wood nail file. Just wasn't sure where to place it. Should I keep it's whole joint straight? Thank you very much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom