Broken/Sprained Neck

Orpstralope

XL College Raised Eggs
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
Boone
Yesterday afternoon my room mate and I went into the coop/shed to check out the birds (I'd just replaced their bedding so it was clean
smile.png
). We notice one bird (Buff Orp) sitting in the roost at 1 PM and she was dangling her head. So i took her down and she could hardly hold her head up and had sort of a kink/curve in her neck right behind her head
sad.png
. I figured the rooster either got on top of her wrong or maybe something fell on her while she was free ranging.

After keeping her inside all night, and her not moving all night (12 hrs.) I decided it would be best to stop her suffering, for she could neither eat or drink and her poop was smaller than a fingernail. Let alone, she couldn't hold her sweet head up. So I culled her about 30 minutes ago. After that process I went back into the coop to see what could have started this problem - and I FOUND the problem.

The girls waterer had been freezing so I had been bringing warm water via a large thermos (1gal.) Sure enough some bird had knocked the empty thermos off of my shelf and onto my little Buff Orpington's neck. I'm glad she didn't have to suffer for too long, but it's a shame to see that a dumb mistake by a human can lead to the death of a perfectly good laying hen.
he.gif

Question: This bird got off Oxytet-343 and Gallemycin last tuesday (8th). Can I eat her? She hasn't started laying so she'd be very tasty - I just don't want to hurt myself after hurting this poor chick, but I also don't want to let good meat go to waste. Opinions?

I know you're not supposed to bump yourself....but I need some sort of answer! Can I eat this chicken? Thanks

You may get more responses on the meat birds section for this post; I hope it's not too late to process (I know nothing about processing meat birds)!

Back
Top Bottom