Broken Toe Nail

Thankfully, it was never infected. We used liquid bandage as soon as it happened, which is also an antiseptic (I didn't know that until later). By the next day she was still pulling the foot up because the quick was exposed and I think it was just really sore.

I never re-applied the liquid bandage once the bleeding stopped, I sort of let nature take its course and now the nail is almost grown back fully and she never got an infection.

As long as it's not bleeding and doesn't hurt, Crackers will be fine even if the nail doesn't grow back. I heard a lot of stories of a loss of a nail when it happened my hen. It's pretty 50/50 on if the nail grows back. But the ones that said the nail didn't grow back said that it heals over and doesn't cause any problems. I heard only 1 person say that they had an issue with infection.

I would venture to guess that you will know if it's infected: her toe and surrounding area will hurt. Also, it will look nasty.

Hope this helps and Crackers gets better soon!!!

I think you need to go to a pet store, or feed store or order it online. I don't think Walmart would have this. Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? I believe they have it as well.

In a pinch you can use Neosporin ointment. Get plain old Neosporin and DO NOT get the kind w/ pain killer in it as that can be toxic to birds.

My Leghorn, Blondie, had the nail on her far right toe on her right foot apparently hooked on something and it's now hanging at an "L" shaped angle - she doesn't seem in distress, holds that foot up, but is able to walk, very gingerly. Walks better on cement than on the grass as if the weight on the foot causes problems. She does limp a bit, but when I picked her up she didn't object to my looking at it. Right now it looks as if it may just fall off - but I'm new to chicken raising, only have two, but I worried about her all night - but now it appears this is not unusual. It isn't bleeding, but I worry that there's something I need to do for her...but don't know what! Do I just let her go, keep an eye on her and the toe? If I washed it or treated it, she's in the grass and dirt it wouldn't stay clean and I have no idea what I should do. Thanks for ANY suggestions (and encouragement?) you may have.
hu.gif

My Leghorn, Blondie, had the nail on her far right toe on her right foot apparently hooked on something and it's now hanging at an "L" shaped angle - she doesn't seem in distress, holds that foot up, but is able to walk, very gingerly. Walks better on cement than on the grass as if the weight on the foot causes problems. She does limp a bit, but when I picked her up she didn't object to my looking at it. Right now it looks as if it may just fall off - but I'm new to chicken raising, only have two, but I worried about her all night - but now it appears this is not unusual. It isn't bleeding, but I worry that there's something I need to do for her...but don't know what! Do I just let her go, keep an eye on her and the toe? If I washed it or treated it, she's in the grass and dirt it wouldn't stay clean and I have no idea what I should do. Thanks for ANY suggestions (and encouragement?) you may have.
hu.gif

I've had that happen too. I just looked at my phone for the photo but it must be on my computer at home.

I took a dog nail trimmer and nipped off what I could w/ out cutting into the quick. It didn't seem to hurt her too much that I was working on it. I thought I'd come back the next day and see if I could nip off more. Given it was bent at a right angle, I figured the quick was totally exposed and would be drying up and receding pretty quickly. Well, the next day that broken piece had fallen off and she was going about her business like nothing happened.

So I'd keep a close eye on her and watch for limping, redness, swelling or general signs of infection. I'll bet it smarts if that quick is still raw and that's causing her limping. But if it goes the route of my hen, the nail will dry up and break off. You may want to take a nail file and smooth out any rough edges.

I'm guessing this happens ALL the time. I just happened to notice because I only have 4 hens and spend a great deal of time outside with them.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I have kept checking today, it seems to be more of an inconvenience to her walking than anything else. It does look as if it's just going to dry up and drop off, no bleeding and she does seem to be walking, though holds that foot up when standing still. It is broken down to the bottom of the nail, and I don't want to mess with it for fear of causing it to bleed, so will let it do it's natural thing and keep an eye on her movement and progress. I am relieved to know mine isn't the first chicken to have this happen, I do appreciate your responding, it eases my mind to know I haven't done anything wrong....so far. I'd include a picture, but it's on my phone and I don't know how to transfer it, so just take my word, it's an "L" shape at the end of toe. Sort of like when humans have arthritis in the hand and the finger goes off to the side at the first joint, only this is bottom of the nail bed that is torn and to the side. I appreciate your response!!
smile.png

Thank you so much for your reply!! I have kept checking today, it seems to be more of an inconvenience to her walking than anything else. It does look as if it's just going to dry up and drop off, no bleeding and she does seem to be walking, though holds that foot up when standing still. It is broken down to the bottom of the nail, and I don't want to mess with it for fear of causing it to bleed, so will let it do it's natural thing and keep an eye on her movement and progress. I am relieved to know mine isn't the first chicken to have this happen, I do appreciate your responding, it eases my mind to know I haven't done anything wrong....so far. I'd include a picture, but it's on my phone and I don't know how to transfer it, so just take my word, it's an "L" shape at the end of toe. Sort of like when humans have arthritis in the hand and the finger goes off to the side at the first joint, only this is bottom of the nail bed that is torn and to the side. I appreciate your response!!
smile.png

Here's the photo I was looking for. I think at this point I've trimmed the edge of the nail. You can see they are squared off. I noticed it one day and by the next, that tip had fallen off and she was fine. I hope your girl is fine too. Chickens are pretty resiliant little creatures.

When I let the girls out this morning, I picked up Blondie and looked at her toe - the nail had apparently come off, or she nipped it off, and it looks like the wound has sealed itself. No bleeding, seems to be walking fine, she couldn't wait to get to the yard to start "patrolling" it. Seeing that she's able to walk and shows no discomfort, I am feeling a LOT better about it today.

I wonder if trimming the tips of the nails would prevent hanging up on something and tearing the nail. Have you noticed anything to that effect? Does it have any hindrance to her scratching in the dirt? I am always looking for good suggestions and advice, I love my two ladies - they're not just chickens, they're pets with benefits.

Also, I read we're heading into molting season, neither has done any amount of feather dropping, only a few here and there, but it's getting cold her in the Pacific Northwest and if I'm chilly, they surely would be if they get naked any time soon. Any thoughts on that? This would be their first molt as they were fall chicks and are now a year old. Thanks, Spice Girl, I feel I've acquired a friend!

Chatty Kathy
highfive.gif

When I let the girls out this morning, I picked up Blondie and looked at her toe - the nail had apparently come off, or she nipped it off, and it looks like the wound has sealed itself. No bleeding, seems to be walking fine, she couldn't wait to get to the yard to start "patrolling" it. Seeing that she's able to walk and shows no discomfort, I am feeling a LOT better about it today.

I wonder if trimming the tips of the nails would prevent hanging up on something and tearing the nail. Have you noticed anything to that effect? Does it have any hindrance to her scratching in the dirt? I am always looking for good suggestions and advice, I love my two ladies - they're not just chickens, they're pets with benefits.

Also, I read we're heading into molting season, neither has done any amount of feather dropping, only a few here and there, but it's getting cold her in the Pacific Northwest and if I'm chilly, they surely would be if they get naked any time soon. Any thoughts on that? This would be their first molt as they were fall chicks and are now a year old. Thanks, Spice Girl, I feel I've acquired a friend!

Chatty Kathy
highfive.gif

I like to leave my hens alone as much as possible. But if I see that nails are getting too long, then I'll take just a nip at them. Maybe a millimeter or two. Not very much.

Also, I have a patio of interlocking pavers. If my hens get pointy nails, then they get stuck in the cracks and they trip. So then I nip the tips off to make the nail more blunt so they don't snag into the pavers.

I think you have to just look at your situation and see what works for you. Wouldn't hurt to nip the tips of each nail once a month or every 6 weeks.

As far as molting, provided your hens are not naked, I'd leave them be. Offer up some protein treats when you can. My girls love scrambled eggs and meal worms.

My Jersey Giant did one ugly molt last year. I did put out a heat lamp in the run when I caught her shivering. Course, she refused to stand anywhere near it. The good news is from the time she dropped all her feathers, it was just three weeks before she was covered again. So keep an eye on them. But chicken have been molting for many years and they somehow pull through this. If I catch her being really miserable, I will give her half a baby aspirin tucked into a raisin. But I know that's an extreme example.

Back
Top Bottom