1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken toe, or just oddly swollen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pauleberly, Apr 28, 2017.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    My Red Sexlink started limping. Some of my other chickens have limped before, and it eventually went away.

I noticed it looks like her toe is crooked, and does have some swelling into it. Her hips seem to move freely, but she does seem bothered by me messing with her foot. It did not look like anything was in it. Here are some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can get a picture of the bottom of the foot, nothing looked out of the ordinary. I have her half a baby tylenol. and let her go on her way. I do know that they jump off the top of their coop and try and "fly" as long as they can, and sometimes off the deck if they can.

2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Hello,

I have a hen that is older that has something like that, boils on her feet.
    From what I could tell (I don't want to mislead you) It MIGHT be a growth spurt.
    Are the others bothering her? Is she still limping?

-The Angry Hen

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Well I was mainly concerned because she was limping, and the toe looks crooked, like its broken.

I am not sure if she would be going through a growth spurt; when do they normally have them? She is just about a year old.

4. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Oh, okay I thought she was younger. [​IMG]
    Mostly at a month or two old, they go through growth spurts.
    I'm no expert, but she looks more swollen than a broken toe, she would be a little more lethargic.
    If she moves around a lot than it probably isn't broken.
    Will her toe bend at all? I hope I am help, sorry if I'm not.

Good Luck!

-TAH
    P.S She might have Bumblefoot.
    I'd suggest you try researching it.

5. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    If there are no abrasions or scabs on the bottom of the foot to explain the swelling, it could be broken. Chickens are very stoic in the face of pain, she would probably never wince in front of you even if it hurt. An x-ray seems the only way to know for sure. You can splint a chicken's foot to promote proper healing but if the other hens are not picking on her and she seems normal otherwise, it will probably heal on its own (but will have a wonky bend). I have known a couple of hens with wonky toes who seemed fine if they looked a bit odd.

6. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok. So is there any special treatment or medicines I need to give her? I will update this post tomorrow with a bottom of the foot picture. I didn't see anything that looked like bumble foot, but I will not rule out that option. Thanks again everyone.

P.S This is one of the bossier hens. All of my sex links seem to be the dominate types. I know she is not picked on, so I am wonder what could have possibly broken her toe? Also, it did not feel warm at all to the touch

1 person likes this.
  7. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Update! She actually seems to only limp now when she is in a full on run. Here's a picture of the bottom of her foot. I did not see any thing strange, but I'm no professional

[​IMG]

8. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    I'm glad shes getting better!

9. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    That does not look like bumblefoot does it?

10. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    No, I do not see anything that stands out in the photo.

There is a dark spot toward the top of the center toe but it could just be dirt. I would clean her whole foot off in some warm soapy water and give it a good looking over for injuries. Bumblefoot is fairly noticeable. Here is a link to a post with pictures of my hen's footpad when she had bumblefoot, but I don't think your hen has it.

It could have been a sprain, insect bite, or other passing injury. Is she still limping? Have any of the other hens started being mean to her? The flock usually knows when a member is sick and they will start picking on any weak or sickly hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by