Broken Wing after coon attack

I think whats left of her long feathers will have to be clipped once they are all grown in and there aren’t any blood left in them. Looks like you have decided not to amputate? Is bone sticking out? @casportpony is expert at things like this.
No I did not amputate it. I didn't want to do anything until I saw how it was healing. She can move the shoulder joint. No bones are sticking out. She is full of spunk, eating, drinking and doing what ducks do 😄.

Can you post new close-up pictures of the wing?
I had my kids take a picture so sorry it is so closeup. I do have them trying to take more. For now I am posting this one until I get more.

Attachments

• duck.JPG
    duck.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 8
We do wrap it. She can not walk very well when wrapped. We give her a little time without the wrap (and she loves this time :😊).
When you wrap it are you individually wrapping the wing and then doing a semi-loose wrap (able to put 2-3 fingers underneath comfortably) around her abdomen to serve as a sling? If wrapped properly she should not be having trouble walking. Also she may enjoy not having it wrapped, but it's the equivalent to a kid complaining about wearing a cast. They may absolutely hate it, but in the end it's for their own good. Constantly wrapping it and then unwrapping is not going to help if it is indeed broken in fact it could make things worse by further moving things out of place.

When you wrap it are you individually wrapping the wing and then doing a semi-loose wrap (able to put 2-3 fingers underneath comfortably) around her abdomen to serve as a sling? If wrapped properly she should not be having trouble walking. Also she may enjoy not having it wrapped, but it's the equivalent to a kid complaining about wearing a cast. They may absolutely hate it, but in the end it's for their own good. Constantly wrapping it and then unwrapping is not going to help if it is indeed broken in fact it could make things worse by further moving things out of place.
We did the individually wrapping for the first few days and it was a struggle to get wing right/ tight enough. So we do the full body and that seems to hold everything much better/in place. She also seems to like the full body better. This wrapping business is not easy 🙃

Can you trim the feathers so we can see the wing?
Where do you want me to trim? Just the feather over the wound?
I am pretty nervous cutting anything at this point. I dont want to hurt her more being I have no clue what I am doing. (kids sent 2 more pics...this is as good as we will get it until I get home :) )

Attachments

• Duck 2.JPG
    Duck 2.JPG
    548.4 KB · Views: 6
  • duck 3.JPG
    duck 3.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 5
  • duck 4 trim.jpg
    duck 4 trim.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back