Cierabug

Songster
May 13, 2018
Oroville , Northern California
My flock that i hatched 6 months ago has started to show signs if bronchitis , but the symptoms are still mild (occasional sneezing and a few have diarrhea).I have a hen who survived it years ago and did not know that they can be carrierers even after their symptoms have passed.She has been aroumd them since they were chicks but they have only now started to show symptoms.They extremely strong eggs and besides the occasional sneezing and diarrhea they have been fine.cfine. Could being raised around her have helped them build up resistance and is there anything I can do to keep their symotoms from getting worse? My last flock was destryoed by this and i dont want my next ones to die too.

It is hard to tell infectious bronchitis from mild mycoplasma (MG.) MG can make them carriers for life, while IB will only make then carriers for up to a year. So if your chicken was sick years ago with IB, then she would not have spread it. I would suggest getting some blood testing through your state vet or poultry lab done to see if you are actually seeing a disease, or that they might be sneezing from dust, mold, or ammonia odors in the coop. In my experience with IB, the chickens sneeze every few minutes, and it lasts about a month. It also affects most of the chickens in the flock eventually. MG may only affect one or two, or fewer chickens, but can be mild or severe. If you see bubbles in eyes or swelling in the face or eyelids, you are probably dealing with MG.

It is hard to tell infectious bronchitis from mild mycoplasma (MG.) MG can make them carriers for life, while IB will only make then carriers for up to a year. So if your chicken was sick years ago with IB, then she would not have spread it. I would suggest getting some blood testing through your state vet or poultry lab done to see if you are actually seeing a disease, or that they might be sneezing from dust, mold, or ammonia odors in the coop. In my experience with IB, the chickens sneeze every few minutes, and it lasts about a month. It also affects most of the chickens in the flock eventually. MG may only affect one or two, or fewer chickens, but can be mild or severe. If you see bubbles in eyes or swelling in the face or eyelids, you are probably dealing with MG.
the symptoms the older hen had when she was sick 2 years ago were sneezing, nasal discharge, panting, coughing and diarreah and her siblings all jad the same symptoms but died after having ut for 2 months.I thought it was bronchitis because her egg priduction was messed up afterwards.Does mg do this too and is there any thing i can do stop it from pregressing.I'm not surr if I'll ne able to get them tested

What is the weather like where you are? Is it really cold or wet? How big is your flock? Are you able to put them somewhere dry and warm for a few days for supportive care? The difficult part of these diseases, is all the symptoms look similar.

Infectious bronchitis in grown birds usually will not kill them, unless it is complicated by other secondary diseases. Most diseases including MG can cause a decrease in laying eggs, and diarrhea. It usually is fairly inexpensive to get testing done on a few birds. Contacting your state vet or local poultry extension agent, or even a state poultry college might get some information. Here is a good article on MG:
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/exte... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

My flock that i hatched 6 months ago has started to show signs if bronchitis , but the symptoms are still mild (occasional sneezing and a few have diarrhea).
the symptoms the older hen had when she was sick 2 years ago were sneezing, nasal discharge, panting, coughing and diarreah and her siblings all jad the same symptoms but died after having ut for 2 months.I thought it was bronchitis because her egg priduction was messed up afterwards.Does mg do this too and is there any thing i can do stop it from pregressing.I'm not surr if I'll ne able to get them tested
Can you post a video of the sick chickens? (upload to youtube, then provide us a link)

As far as I know most all respiratory illnesses can impact egg production and quality.
It would be good to know what you are dealing with so you can determine if they need treatment or if what they have really needs to run it's course. You can find your state lab here, talk to them about testing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sease-testing-lab-info.1236884/#post-19849025

Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are both caused by viruses, so antibiotics are not effective unless the birds have complications from secondary infections. Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza are bacterial and can be treated with antibiotics. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

As mentioned previously, there are other causes of sneezing like molds, poor ventilation, etc. Diarrhea can also be caused by a number of things, a few are, worms, cocccidiosis, changes in diet, as well as repiratory illness.

What is the weather like where you are? Is it really cold or wet? How big is your flock? Are you able to put them somewhere dry and warm for a few days for supportive care? The difficult part of these diseases, is all the symptoms look similar.
Its 60-30 Fahrenheit ( 30 at night ) ,the pen was very wet for a while but is drying up ,there are 12 birds in tje flock 2 are roosters and 3 are new from a teacher, there isnt anywhere i can put them all because some silkie roosters are taking up the spare cage since they get picked on amd our pig is using the isolated kennel for protection from dogs during the day.they probably wouldnt be large enough anyways though

Back
Top Bottom