Bronze?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by guineaguy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. guineaguy

guineaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG] so I was told this was not a bronze hen though I've seen its parents who the male is typical Buford bronze and the mother looks like her and the breeder said the parents produced a pied this year she is 2 and the light coloring is NOT sun fade. Any ideas I thought maybe pied white eye without white which I know shouldn't happen.

2. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]head pic

3. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]wing definately does not have typical wing for a Buford bronze barred wing patterned parent.

4. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    She's definately bronze, possibly split to pied, but only breeding will determine that (breed to white male to get 100% pied offspring if she is split to pied). light colouring could be due to 1 copy of white eyed gene, but as I have never seen a white eyed bronze hen myself, I cannot be certain.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Blue creek over on show off your peas thread just posted up some opal hen photos and your hen looks alot like hers.
    I have never seen opal and only got a glimps of a bronze hen one time so i am no expert, i just thought the one blue creek posted was colored like yours.. Arbor knows way more about colors than i do, i only have IB's

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I wanted to mention that i had a cameo hen that had light and dark feathering like yours during laying season she faded to almost white.
    [​IMG]

7. The pictures do make the neck look bluer like an opal, but if it came out of a bronze it is bronze. Probably just an illusion. The pattern and general coloring do look just like a regular bronze peahen. The regular hens do not have barred wings. They look like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by