Brooder box size

LovingMyChicks

Chirping
Dec 27, 2022
I am a new chicken mamma. Picking up my chickens in Feb. A total of 130..I forgot when I ordered a hatchery special of meat birds, it also came with a variety of chicks 25 total. So I ordered 50 chicks F and 5 M.

Hubby (who is not entirely happy with me)...built a 4' x 8' brooder. We put 3 XL brooder plates (covers up to 50 chicks ea.) An infrared heater, and we have heat lamps as a stand by, and agreed to let me put them in our house for at least a few weeks to give them the best start.

So far, I have bought chick grit, vitamins, electrolytes, apple cider vinegar with mother, and dust bath, starter feed, and will get puppy pads to start, then use either sand or wood chips.

I am also building perches, to help strengthen legs and give them something to do.

The big coop which we will transfer them into when they are ready... is 12' x 20' shed which we will cut in half and build two runs 24' x 24'. We are working to make it predator proof - laying mesh wire, using railroad ties, and a 4x4 frame with 2'x6' panels to make a canopy over the top. -- the other side will be used for turkeys...coming in April.

I also thought about using an Air Dancer as a scarecrow to ward off predators, like coyotes, hawks, eagles, etc. Has anyone tried this?

Am I heading in the right direction?

Attaching a pic... still in progress.

Attachments

• 16743965898988444978992892788716.jpg
    16743965898988444978992892788716.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 9
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

With that number of chicks, you are going to need a much bigger brooder than 4x8. I would brood the layers separate from the meat birds. You will need at least 1 sq ft per chick initially and it should be increased to 2 by the time they are about 3 weeks old.
I've never seen a brooder plate large enough to cover 50 chicks. I think the literature with what you purchased is just as inaccurate as it is for many of the lousy pre-fab coops on the market.
I would strongly consider cancelling part of your order.

Attaching a pic... still in progress.
Brooders need a ton of ventilation. And chicks start flying at around 2-3 weeks old and will easily fly up to the edge of that brooder and out.
Again, think about reducing your order size. Significantly.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

@DobieLover has given you some great advice. Chicks and chickens need a lot personal space, not only for good health but mental health as well. You don't need sick birds or birds attacking each other.

This said, I am sure you will enjoy this journey, chickens are so much fun to keep!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any other questions about anything, be sure to ask. Welcome aboard!

I'm not canceling my order.

I will start building another brooder box.
Separate the meat birds from the layers.
Just so you are aware, the lid wasn't finished.
I wasn't going to leave the lid off. Yes it will have mesh wire...

Hubby has the materials and will be finishing that up today.
I'll put 2 brooder plates in each one. I have 4 on hand.
I'll move them to the coop in two weeks.

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies!
You are definitely headed in the right direction.
This stuff saved a couple of my chicks on the first few days. A little bit goes a long way,

Stromberg's PH426 Poultry Supplement, 200 Grams​

Visit the Stromberg's Store

Back
Top Bottom