Brooder build

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
So still trying to figure out a more permanent brooder build.
Sketched a bit to figure out what I might do building one from scratch.

Very much a novice at this and would appreciate any input. Are there aspects about this that probably wouldn't work or things I could do to make my life a little easier?

So my thoughts are;
should be at least 40square feet of space for the chicks (to accommodate up to 20 chicks up to 6 weeks)
Raised up a couple feet
At least one screened wall for airflow and watching/interacting with them, other walls likely more solid wood panels
Top opens up for set up and maintenance
An alternative door on the side for interaction
Legs on wheels for mobility
Possible self under the box for additional storage
Removable plastic trays for the floor

rskk.png
rough blue.png
partss.png

Off the top of my head, a 40 sq ft "lid" is going to be either heavy or unwieldy or both - it's bigger than a king sized bed. Actually this entire thing will be bigger and heavier than you think, those little wheels might not hold up either. Maybe go for 2 smaller brooders, or start moving them into the coop/doing integration earlier, so you can make a smaller brooder?

The bottom shelf is a good idea it will add stability.

Something you'll want to consider is how you intend to catch the chicks when it's time to move them. Would you be able to reach all areas from your access doors without hurting yourself or getting stuck? Even when they're super tiny, because you might need to catch them when they're little too. Or catch just one when they're bigger and not have them all jump out. XD

If you have a way to divide the pen to make the area they're in smaller and closer to your access when you need to get them that would help. Not all chicks will want to be caught.

I was never able to figure out how to make plastic trays work for floors unless you mean to have a welded wire floor above it. If you're intending to have bedding though, you'll need at least a partial wall on the screen side to keep it from dumping out onto the floor.

Thanks! Definitely some good points.
Still in brainstorming mode so I'm probably going to ramble a bit while I ponder these.

Not sure about fixing weight yet. That's one thing I can't really get an exact estimate on until I have the materials on hand. Should probably go do some real-world measuring to see some equivalents.

The bottom self was originally just planked going across to increase stability between the legs, but I figured it might as well become a whole self. Glad it still works! Was also thinking of maybe implementing some triangle shapes to help with that too. Like maybe another board going from the leg to the box base.

For shavings, I was thinking like hardware cloth from the screen and I use flake pine shavings so I didn't consider they could spill. (Mostly just when cleaning they should be relatively easy to sweep if they did)
But having more wood base between the trays and screen would probably do me some good.
The trays I was thinking something like a bed-frame-type structure underneath them. But I might have to try it out to see if it'd work the way I think it would.

Possibly increase the wheel size? Maybe use small-medium tractor tires instead of the tiny ones I drew.

Also could split up the lid, maybe make it into two different lig segments to make them lighter and more versatile. Will probably also lower the box some more too, bring it down to about 3 to 3 and a half feet high instead of 4 feet like I drew.

For catching chicks, I think both splitting the top into two parts and lowering it a bit would help give me more control over reaching them. I hadn't had too many issues in the past, though if a chick flies out they're still indoors (in this case in the barn/workshop).

I would say 20sq.ft. for 20 birds up to 6 weeks would be more than enough. Are your going to be hatching that often to justify permanent brooder over x-large cardboard box or plywood sheets set directly on the garage or basement floor?

I would say 20sq.ft. for 20 birds up to 6 weeks would be more than enough. Are your going to be hatching that often to justify permanent brooder over x-large cardboard box or plywood sheets set directly on the garage or basement floor?
Hmm, 1sq per chick? I think it'd still be more space than I gave previous hatches so maybe.

Justify? I don't know. I just want one.
I hatched around six clutches last year, though this year I'm only hoping to do one.

I've raised chicks every year for the past four years and I never found cardboard worked well for me. I used plastic bins the previous years, but they really do become crowded fast. + my bins have gotten cracks in them from being tossed around a bit too much, so I think a brooder box would be an alright investment.

I agree on the size/weight issue.

This is my 4'x8' brooder (32 square feet): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

cover-image

We haven't figured out how to put it on wheels yet so it takes at least 3 people to move it. I was working with what I had available, but even if I'd been building from scratch there would have been no possible way to make it 100% accessible from any access door.

Not only would a lid that size be extremely unwieldy, but even my 6-foot son wouldn't be able to reach over the wall to access the back with the lid open. I know from experience that one of my problems with brooding in the Little Monitor Coop, which is 4'x4', is that even with my head and shoulders inside through the generous access door, I can't reach chicks who have pressed themselves against the back wall.

I wouldn't want to make a built-for-the-purpose brooder deeper than 3 feet (and 2 feet would better suit the normal dimensions of building materials without generating waste.).

Multiple units would be more flexible. You could start with all the chicks in one brooder then separate them out by whatever category suits you -- breed, keeper vs for sale vs meat, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom