Brooder floor

Teeschicks

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
My eggs are in lockdown, day 19. I saw a couple of egg wiggles today, so exciting!! I’m setting my brooder up. It’s a 50 gallon plastic tote for (hopefully) 23 chicks. I’m wondering your thoughts of a nonslip drawer liner for the bottom of the brooder. I’m looking for easy cleanup and read somewhere that you can rewash this pretty easily. What are your thoughts?

For brooding 23 chicks? That’s a lot of washing those liners almost like a full time job, it will get old. If I were you I’ll just get pine shavings top it every so often and empty and throw once or every 2 wks and repeat. Feeding and watering them every day will be a chore enough if you have a full time job and wanting to spend quality time with them too, it’s should be less work and more fun time.

I just hatched this weekend about this is a bout 3 or 4 hours after I put them in the brooder. Note the mess already. 25 chicks, Go with pine shavings.
DSCN0093.JPG

It might be extensive for you (I normally only have a few chicks at a time) but putting paper towels over wood shavings is wonderfully convenient. Plus, you can get better looks at the poos to make sure everyone is happy and healthy.

What are the other things you have in there besides the feeder and waterer?
I have their heating pad cave, a roost, some grit, and some oyster shells. I make my own feed chicks need calcium just not as much as layers do. As they get older some will peck at it some wont. The grit I will sprinkle on the ground.

edit: the purple is a piece of yoga carpet with paper towel over it to keep the shavings out of the food and water

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom