Brooder Flooring/Brooders

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
I plan to use a cardboard box I dont wanna breed bacteria so I need someting easy to clean, what would you suggest?

I like using a kidde pool. It makes a great draft shield and when your done you can just hose it out and bleach it. I use the same one over and over. Look at our brooder on "My BYC Page". Will

Last edited:
I use a rubbermaid storage tote. Easy to clean, and cheap! Good Luck!
frow.gif

Quote:
I use cardboards boxes for any that I hatch or buy. When I first set the box up I wipe the inside down with a damp cloth. The cloth has a mild bleach solution. Then I spread several layers of newspapers. On top of the newspaper I put rubber shelf liner. This stuff is great for traction. I haven't had to deal with a case of spaddle leg since I started using it. Once it is dirty, I take out the liner with a layer of paper. The papers get burned and the liner goes into a bucket of water. I rinse the poop off and then wash the liner in a strong bleach solution. Rinse and hang it to dry. I have 4-5 liners so that I am not washing everyday. I just let them soak until I have 3 or so and wash all at once.

At 2-4 weeks old they go on shavings until they can go out. I line the bottom of the box with plastic(trash bags) before adding shavings. When the shavings are dirty I can take out all at once and replace.

Wipe the inside of the box down daily with a damp(almost dry) cloth to keep the dust down.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom