Brooder for 50 or 100 meat chicks?

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
As the subject line suggests. I am trying to find out what a good size brooder would be to hold 50 or possibly 100 meat chicks for up to 4 weeks. I'm sure this question has been answered on here but by doing a search I don't see any direct answers.

I have raised chicks before but the max was probable 15 in a large rubbermaid container and they went outside pretty quickly. I was all set to start raising meat birds this year when I realized that I need to care for this chicks inside for a bit and right now I have nowhere to put 50 chicks inside.

I wish I had a basement or something but it looks like this brooder is going to have to be built on my laundry room floor. I have an unheated porch where I could perhaps put one but it is very cold in there and I am not sure if heat lamps will be able to fight back the cold to keep the chicks warm. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Well if I may echo everyone else on that thread. This is a great idea! For space saving and cleaning. As long as I can make it airtight or draft free this should do really well in my porch. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom