Brooder Heat Lamp

I called several of our local stores and they only had the smaller wattage. I had to order one through Amazon to get the 250. I put a link in an earlier post to the one I bought. I chose that brand because ALL OF THE OTHER BRANDS had bad reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HEIMGU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Do you brood inside? The 250w bulb I am using now is too warm for inside. So I was going to try 150w ceramic to see if it would work without roasting my chicks.

Do you brood inside? The 250w bulb I am using now is too warm for inside. So I was going to try 150w ceramic to see if it would work without roasting my chicks.

I'm going to try this for out in the hen house so I wanted the larger one. You can still control heat by raising and lowering the bulb height.

As far as the brand, strangely enough the other brands all had poor reviews so I chose this brand. You probably could get away with the lower wattage for inside, but I haven't used them so can't comment on that. I do read, however, that the scope of the heat is different with these than with the light bulbs. It supposedly stays more concentrated in a small area than the bulbs. Not sure about any of that! I'm going to experiment before using it live!

raising it up would work but I don't have a way to do that more than what I have already done. I really like the idea of them not living with a bright light shinning on them.
smile.png
Will be making a trip to Petco this afternoon when the kids go to grandma's. Will see what options they have in the store. Thanks for the help.

It supposedly stays more concentrated in a small area than the bulbs. Not sure about any of that! I'm going to experiment before using it live!
I wonder if thats a good thing or not ....for the bulb to be more concentrated on one spot, as opposed to a wider area?

Ive used the other brands for years while we bred reptiles never had an issue with performance, did have to return 2 units for being cracked. You have to look at the heat output more then the wattage on emitters. example: 150w basking light replaced with a 100w emitter (zilla brand if i remember correctly) and the emitter was so hot it drove desert reptiles off their basking rocks.

They dont concentrate heat like that, they have a pretty good radiant heat throw. Its not like spotlight vs floodlight, but the size of the emitter itself has ALOT to do with the heat it throws.

Just to add, ceramic emitters arent the only option. Read that thread about the eco glow brooders? this is a reptile site and its probably not as plug and play like the brooder ones are,but for those with the skills it would open up alot more options for radiant warming chicks
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

-J

Edit : added content

Last edited:
I was having a problem in that ALL I could find were the 250 watt heat bulbs. My chicks are brooding in a very small bathroom with no heat/air duct, and the 250 watt bulb turned it into an OVEN. I went to the hardware store and was finding only white floodlight bulbs in lower wattages until I stumbled across a 100 watt floodlight with a red colored "cap" on it. Works great and keeps the brooder at 90 (the chicks are only four days old). It was much cheaper than a reptile light, too. I found it in the bulb section of my local hardware store. Worth a try for anyone who doesn't need the full, magma-level power of a 250 watt bulb. :)

I was having a problem in that ALL I could find were the 250 watt heat bulbs. My chicks are brooding in a very small bathroom with no heat/air duct, and the 250 watt bulb turned it into an OVEN. I went to the hardware store and was finding only white floodlight bulbs in lower wattages until I stumbled across a 100 watt floodlight with a red colored "cap" on it. Works great and keeps the brooder at 90 (the chicks are only four days old). It was much cheaper than a reptile light, too. I found it in the bulb section of my local hardware store. Worth a try for anyone who doesn't need the full, magma-level power of a 250 watt bulb. :)

I use a "Lamp Dimmer Control" when I use a 250 w bulb. That way I can set the temperature/intensity wherever I want without moving the light at all. Works great and I can set it cooler during the day or warmer at night depending on needs.

Can get them at Lowes or hardware...Here's a sample:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_311473-207-...1&currentURL=?Ntt=lamp+dimmer+cord&facetInfo=

Back
Top Bottom