Brooder Heating chicks per heating pad?

Hickorywildchix

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2015
Buffalo
Hello, I know there are a thousand and one threads but I am looking for specific info regarding size (I purchased 2 xl sunbeam pads) to the number of chicks it will accommodate.
I have 50 Babies arriving mid Feb, I will be raising them in a cold warehouse space in Buffalo NY and would prefer not using the heat lamp this time.
My idea is to set either 2 heating pad areas or one large by using the two together to form one 2x4 area. Your thoughts are much appreciated.. Typically I raise them in the kitchen of my warehouse but never this many!

I'm not sure 2X4 will be big enough for 50 chicks.
I don't use heat lamps any more but I don't use pads either.
The most effective and economical to use are heat plates.
Heating from above, they hold heat in and resemble a mother hen.

My 12x24 DIY heating plate, made with a heating pad, barely covered 16 chicks until they were off heat.
50 chicks would be easier with a lamp(s)....or maybe look at an Ohio brooder...
.....or several Sweeter heaters.
I definitely like your set up,,I have two pads so it would be a total of 2x4' of heating space, which would be maybe 30 chicks,,so its does seem more economical to try an Ohio or stick with a lamp. I assume the large dog heating pads wouldn't be warm enough

My 12x24 DIY heating plate, made with a heating pad, barely covered 16 chicks until they were off heat.
50 chicks would be easier with a lamp(s)....or maybe look at an Ohio brooder...
.....or several Sweeter heaters.
interesting note,,the sweeter heater is 11x30 recommended for 20-50 chicks, so maybe 2 pads set up side by side like your post would be sufficient ,,I'll give it a try and have a back up plan very handy

I assume the large dog heating pads wouldn't be warm enough
Pet warmers are tricky, they work in different ways often with weight sensor and/or so many degrees above ambient temp. Not good for chick heating, IMO.

the sweeter heater is 11x30 recommended for 20-50 chicks
20 more accurate than 50.

so maybe 2 pads set up side by side like your post would be sufficient
For 50 chicks I would for for 3, end to end, 12 x 72.

It seemed like the two together would be good,,now I'm getting into the Ohio brooder thing,,which would allow for even more and I have plenty of materials,,but I do like the mama pad set up,,always like that when you try something new

Back
Top Bottom