Brooder Heating chicks per heating pad?

Hickorywildchix

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2015
Buffalo
Hello, I know there are a thousand and one threads but I am looking for specific info regarding size (I purchased 2 xl sunbeam pads) to the number of chicks it will accommodate.
I have 50 Babies arriving mid Feb, I will be raising them in a cold warehouse space in Buffalo NY and would prefer not using the heat lamp this time.
My idea is to set either 2 heating pad areas or one large by using the two together to form one 2x4 area. Your thoughts are much appreciated.. Typically I raise them in the kitchen of my warehouse but never this many!

So as a midway, pre-chick update I decided to make a 4x4 Ohio brooder with two lamps,,currently with 250w red heat and a 100w ceramic infared,,experimenting to see how the heat stays,,I also enclosed two sides of the brooder for more heat initially that will be removed later,,

How hot is it in there, both hottest and coolest areas? You might end up overheating them in an attempt to compensate for the winter cold.

Buffalo! It's currently 21 degrees with lake effect snow,,which in the recent years, has been considered a "winter weather advisory",,but used to just be winter!
I Know Right?!
I also live in a snow belt, and the weather guessers are all excited.

The temp was reading around 81 degrees but I know that has little do with end results
Are you measuring temps on the floor of brooder in multiple places?
You probably know all this, but will post it anyway:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

yes, thank you! The ceramic inferred things actually came with a digital thermometer so I've been leaving it on the floor in various places underneath the brooder but will check with an old school thermometer too,,

and you can't see them!!!
At least you have to lid you can take a peek.
Maybe a clear window in one or more sides would help with that.

I know using the pad not being able to easily see them under there bothered me.
But I could peek from one end of brooder, or lift the whole thing up to see, or use my camera(old split body digital) to look and take pics under there.

I'm not sure 2X4 will be big enough for 50 chicks.
I don't use heat lamps any more but I don't use pads either.
The most effective and economical to use are heat plates.
Heating from above, they hold heat in and resemble a mother hen.

Back
Top Bottom