Brooder Heating chicks per heating pad?

yes, it's 23 degrees right now and not much warmer inside, I'll basically be making a room inside that will be their home till I can get them outside

So as a midway, pre-chick update I decided to make a 4x4 Ohio brooder with two lamps,,currently with 250w red heat and a 100w ceramic infared,,experimenting to see how the heat stays,,I also enclosed two sides of the brooder for more heat initially that will be removed later,,I probably put a cap on it, at least part way,,so basically building a 10x10 room for the babies,,no shavings yet just insulation on concrete floor and tarp,,I hinged the lid for easy access and used rigid insulation,,fun project so far!

Attachments

• brood2.jpeg
    brood2.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 6
  • brood3.jpeg
    brood3.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 7
  • brood1.jpeg
    brood1.jpeg
    661.7 KB · Views: 7
  • brood4.jpeg
    brood4.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 6
So as a midway, pre-chick update I decided to make a 4x4 Ohio brooder with two lamps,,currently with 250w red heat and a 100w ceramic infared,,experimenting to see how the heat stays,,I also enclosed two sides of the brooder for more heat initially that will be removed later,,

How hot is it in there, both hottest and coolest areas? You might end up overheating them in an attempt to compensate for the winter cold.

I hinged the lid for easy access
Good move!

Agrees that some temp checks on floor all around brooder area would be good.
But I will assume by this....
experimenting to see how the heat stays
....that you are doing that.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2518579

Buffalo! It's currently 21 degrees with lake effect snow,,which in the recent years, has been considered a "winter weather advisory",,but used to just be winter! The temp was reading around 81 degrees but I know that has little do with end results,,I also think a few heat shields is in order,,like a turkey pan,,to reflect some heat,,like always,,once it said and done,,it will be biscuit city

Buffalo! It's currently 21 degrees with lake effect snow,,which in the recent years, has been considered a "winter weather advisory",,but used to just be winter!
I Know Right?!
I also live in a snow belt, and the weather guessers are all excited.

The temp was reading around 81 degrees but I know that has little do with end results
Are you measuring temps on the floor of brooder in multiple places?
You probably know all this, but will post it anyway:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

yes, thank you! The ceramic inferred things actually came with a digital thermometer so I've been leaving it on the floor in various places underneath the brooder but will check with an old school thermometer too,,

So 32 babies arrived today, 2 seem a little weak but are improving,,I'm using the 250 heat lamp on one side and a ceramic inferred on the other,,they are spread out and all looks well BUT the Ohio brooder still scares me,,with the bulb and the possibility of fire,,not sure how this is safer than just a stand with light secured,,and you can't see them!!!

and you can't see them!!!
At least you have to lid you can take a peek.
Maybe a clear window in one or more sides would help with that.

I know using the pad not being able to easily see them under there bothered me.
But I could peek from one end of brooder, or lift the whole thing up to see, or use my camera(old split body digital) to look and take pics under there.

Back
Top Bottom