Brooder Heating Conundrum

One thing nice about where I'm at, is that I'm starting from a blank canvas and I can take your suggestions and improve upon my plans. I found this on the internet. I think it will address the brooder space that some of you have pointed out. This will give me almost 16 sq ft. If I put this in the garage, it will be on concrete. Will this be a concern, or should I have some plywood down first? I like this plan because you can take it apart and store easily and not take up too much space in storage.

The concrete can really suck the heat out of something. Once I brooded chicks from about 1-2 weeks of age on, in the dead of winter on a plain, OSB type shed floor, with only the shavings as insulation, with plenty of heat though. I'm getting ready to brood in the house in a mobile home, and because the floor is cold, I have 3 layers of cardboard and a small rug under the brooder cage. I'm brooding hatchery/mail order birds, though, which are probably not in quite as good a shape after 40 hours in the mail, as if you took them straight from your incubator though, much less let a broody raise them.

One thing nice about where I'm at, is that I'm starting from a blank canvas and I can take your suggestions and improve upon my plans. I found this on the internet. I think it will address the brooder space that some of you have pointed out. This will give me almost 16 sq ft. If I put this in the garage, it will be on concrete. Will this be a concern, or should I have some plywood down first? I like this plan because you can take it apart and store easily and not take up too much space in storage.

I'd go for the plywood as a thermal break. A concrete floor can be bitterly cold.

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
I used a refrigerator box and a red heat lamp that could be moved up and down. Hubby used wire attached above a ceiling tile into a 2x4. Seemed to work well. Happy chicking! 😊

I'm getting chicks this spring for the first time. I'm researching like crazy, and I've hit a brick wall on what the best brooder heating solution is for me. I'm getting 6 chicks. I'm looking at either a small kiddie pool, or a large storage tote for my brooder. Infrared heat lamps are not very energy efficient, and there is a risk of fire. The overhead heat pads with adjustable legs may have less fire risk, but I've read where many who have tried them aren't satisfied that the chicks get warm enough. Has anyone used the ceramic heater bulbs like you use for reptiles? I keep coming back to the old infrared heat lamp as the best solution. Is the risk of fire that pervasive? Thanks for any input and wisdom you can share!!
My first time, I got 4 week old chicks and used a collapsible puppy playpen as a brooder, pine shavings , a Brinsea heater, a chick nipple waterer, and a galvanized feeding ring. Was plenty large enough to house 4 chicks- (could’ve done 6 easily). I put a small perch in the pen and they learned early. This system worked great and was easy to transition to their big coop/water/feeding etc.
My BIG mistake as a new chicken keeper was keeping the brooder inside an unused bedroom in the house- the dust is TERRIBLE- next time it will be outside in the garage!!
Good luck- it’s a lot of fun!

Attachments

• 9E68840E-9F86-43D4-98DD-FDDD8A696B73.jpeg
    9E68840E-9F86-43D4-98DD-FDDD8A696B73.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • BEE536E6-693B-4BCB-9DCB-CE9F0F1C7843.jpeg
    BEE536E6-693B-4BCB-9DCB-CE9F0F1C7843.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 11
  • EE31C9CC-4386-432D-A893-6D6149DC8A1A.jpeg
    EE31C9CC-4386-432D-A893-6D6149DC8A1A.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 10
My first time, I got 4 week old chicks and used a collapsible puppy playpen as a brooder, pine shavings , a Brinsea heater, a chick nipple waterer, and a galvanized feeding ring. Was plenty large enough to house 4 chicks- (could’ve done 6 easily). I put a small perch in the pen and they learned early. This system worked great and was easy to transition to their big coop/water/feeding etc.
My BIG mistake as a new chicken keeper was keeping the brooder inside an unused bedroom in the house- the dust is TERRIBLE- next time it will be outside in the garage!!
Good luck- it’s a lot of fun!
Which model Brinsea heater did you get? I purchased the model 600. Says it's good for 15 chicks, but looks too small for that many. I'm getting 6 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom