Brooder heating question?

HannahKline14

Chirping
Jun 21, 2020
Ohio
Ok so I have 3, 10 day old chicks that are staying in our garage in the day time it's about 95 degrees but a tad bit cooler in the garage but at night it drops down to 70 so it would be a bit cooler in the garage i have two heating lamp bulbs a 40 watt red reptile light and a 250 watt red chick light that's all i could get my pet store is out of stock of a lot of their reptile lights and the 250 watt was the only one at tractor supply, so wich one do i use. I don't want them to over heat and since it's summer and such a small broader i thought i could use the 40 watt and just keep it pretty low but any help and advice is greatly appreciated! I just looked online and they have the 60 watt and 100 watt in stock i could go get those so now which one 40, 60, 100, 250 watt

Ok so I have 3, 10 day old chicks that are staying in our garage in the day time it's about 95 degrees but a tad bit cooler in the garage but at night it drops down to 70 so it would be a bit cooler in the garage i have two heating lamp bulbs a 40 watt red reptile light and a 250 watt red chick light that's all i could get my pet store is out of stock of a lot of their reptile lights and the 250 watt was the only one at tractor supply, so wich one do i use. I don't want them to over heat and since it's summer and such a small broader i thought i could use the 40 watt and just keep it pretty low but any help and advice is greatly appreciated! I just looked online and they have the 60 watt and 100 watt in stock i could go get those so now which one 40, 60, 100, 250 watt
If it's that warm and they are 10 days old, I would just give them a huddle box for the night and no other source of heat. Close the garage at night to secure and keep the heat in then open windows during the day so it doesn't get too hot.

If it's that warm and they are 10 days old, I would just give them a huddle box for the night and no other source of heat. Close the garage at night to secure and keep the heat in then open windows during the day so it doesn't get too hot.
The temp is 70 at night is that warm enough for 3 chicks i don't give them a heat source in the day because it's upper 90s. Also what is a huddle box sorry I'm new to raising chicks.

The temp is 70 at night is that warm enough for 3 chicks i don't give them a heat source in the day because it's upper 90s. Also what is a huddle box sorry I'm new to raising chicks.
It's warm enough if they have a huddle box.
All it is is a box on its side with the side and bottom flaps cut off and the top flap hanging down with lots of fluffy warm bedding in it. The chicks will go in there and keep each other warm with their body heat.
By closing the garage windows before the temperature starts to drop, you should be able to maintain an ambient temperature in the garage overnight that shouldn't drop below 80 if it's in the mid 90's during the day. That is plenty warm for them in a huddle box.
I'd definitely open up windows to allow excess heat out during the day. Try not to let it get hotter than 90 in the garage.

All it is is a box on its side with the side and bottom flaps cut off and the top flap hanging down with lots of fluffy warm bedding in it. The chicks will go in there and keep each other warm with their body heat.
By closing the garage windows before the temperature starts to drop, you should be able to maintain an ambient temperature in the garage overnight that shouldn't drop below 80 if it's in the mid 90's during the day. That is plenty warm for them in a huddle box.
I'd definitely open up windows to allow excess heat out during the day. Try not to let it get hotter than 90 in the garage.
We had the garage door open for a while but tomorrow ill just open a couple windows what type of bedding I've been using pine shavings would those work or not?

Like a nest box with 'insulation' inside. You could even have a top on it to conserve their body heat. But you'd want air holes in it.

I'm just scared they're going to get to cold and die in a worrier so it definitely hard for me to just trust mother nature to do it's own thing. I'll just go out before i go to bed and see the thermometer and see if their peeping but if the temp drops in the garage below 80 should i use the 40 watt bulb?

I'm just scared they're going to get to cold and die in a worrier so it definitely hard for me to just trust mother nature to do it's own thing. I'll just go out before i go to bed and see the thermometer and see if their peeping but if the temp drops in the garage below 80 should i use the 40 watt bulb?

How you'll tell is you are going to get a thermometer and test out each lamp with the thermometer.

This works great to tell. Plus you want to do it anyway to get the right height of the lamp.

So you'll first give the lamp a few minutes with thermometer at the distance the chicks would be at under it. Then come back after you've let it have time to adjust. And then compare temperatures.

Go with a smaller lamp if it can handle getting the right temperatures. But keep some of the other lamps for blizzard winters, etc.

But one thing you also want to do is make sure the lamp is sturdily held in place and can't move.

When your birds get older, you'll find a lot of them will like to knock against the lamp or hit it, because they are curious about the shiny metal. And if its not secure this could be hypothetically how some fires started. (I've seen my ducks tapping the lamp at night constantly!)

How you'll tell is you are going to get a thermometer and test out each lamp with the thermometer.

This works great to tell. Plus you want to do it anyway to get the right height of the lamp.

So you'll first give the lamp a few minutes with thermometer at the distance the chicks would be at under it. Then come back after you've let it have time to adjust. And then compare temperatures.

Go with a smaller lamp if it can handle getting the right temperatures. But keep some of the other lamps for blizzard winters, etc.

But one thing you also want to do is make sure the lamp is sturdily held in place and can't move.

When your birds get older, you'll find a lot of them will like to knock against the lamp or hit it, because they are curious about the shiny metal. And if its not secure this could be hypothetically how some fires started. (I've seen my ducks tapping the lamp at night constantly!)
Ok I'll do that we have fencing over top of their brooder so they can't touch it and the lamp has protective metal around it, we also have it chained up so it can't fall ill test out the temps for them thanks🙂

Back
Top Bottom