Brooder in Cold Weather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brian, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Currently, I have the brooder in the living room in a corner. The chicks are super happy and warm there with the 250watt infrared bulb on them. However, soon they will be getting too dusty and rowdy. At what point can I put them in the hen house with the 250watt bulb and some cardboard to retain additional heat? The hen house is a fully enclosed, draft-free house. But, it is uninsulated and temps can drop to 22 degrees at night. When will this be safe to do? I have 25 chicks.

Pics of the hen house can be seen at link below.

Brian

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    perhaps you could knock together something like this

click here

Pat

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nice coop, as long as you can get the temperature at the chicks to be warm enough, you can pu them outside, just might need ALOT of heat to make up for the fact it would be normally 22F.

4. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Quote:That was interesting!
    Brian

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would recommend lowering their heat wattage while in the house a bit. 250 is typically too hot for indoors. We usually only use a 150 or lower watt for indoor chickies. For the outside temps, you may need two of those bulbs.

Jody

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Quote:I built one for 50 chicks, it only has to be 2'x2' It's really cool. I'm getting chicks in 2 weeks and I'll give it a whirl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by