Brooder in run

jreardon1918

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Southeast, MA
My Coop
My Coop
We are planning for 6 spring chicks. They will join our small flock. We are planning using the MHP. We will brood in the run. I was thinking about a 2' x6' brooder. With no floor. When they get 3-4 weeks old. I could raise it a few inches to let the chicks venture out and be able to quickly hide in the brooder. I think i can watch for the hens digging under.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A few more thoughts. I plan the brooder to have a removable top. To access the chicks. Then a 45 degree roof to keep the hens from pooping on the chicks. The run has plastic to shield from wind, rain and snow. I don't have plans drawn. And i have two plus months to prepare.

aart already linked my article, but a couple of notes:

A top access hatch or door is fine and certainly more convenient for humans, though it does make chicks more nervous to be approached from above, so if that's a concern you may want to consider having an access door on the side as well/instead.

I did try raising the brooder to allow chicks to safely dart in and out but reality didn't match my idea - the hens all just stuck their heads underneath to try and get at the chick feed, which had to be terrifying for the chicks. So by having a wire surround around the brooder, and letting the chicks get used to that as a sort of mini run, and then elevating the wire to allow chicks in and out, that gave them a safe buffer between the brooder and everything going on in the run with the adults.

Back
Top Bottom