brooder lamp max 60 watt

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
i have a problem! my chicks are hatching in a few days and there is no where to get a brooder lamp. my goosneck computer lamp say do not exceed 60 watts but i have a 100 watt heat bulb so is it dangerous

All Home Depots sell brooder lamps and 100W and 80W red lamps. They don't always call them brooder lamps nor do the workers have any idea what you are talking about half the time. They call them workshop lights or such. They are usually not with the lamps but with the workshop lights and electrical items.

I would not exceed the lamp's recommended wattage. If you have a space heater, in a pinch, you could raise the whole room temp to 80, and then use the 60 watt bulb.

I think a heating pad with a towel over it would get you by in a pinch. Are there any pet stores near you that might have heat lamps for caged birds or reptiles?

I would bite the bullet and order a heat lamp online with red bulbs. Have it shipped to you asap.

Actually I would get 2 so you have a backup...

Edited to add: If you use a heating pad make sure it doesn't get too warm, and also that the chicks have a way to get away from it if they get too warm.

Last edited:
Quote:
What pkeeler said. Hardware stores too. But be sure the lamp base (the socket where the bulb screws in) is ceramic, not plastic.

Do not put a heat lamp bulb in something designed for a 60W bulb! Heat lamps generate a lot of heat, will melt plastic sockets.

Some people use an ordinary 100W bulb, rather than a heat lamp.

If you have your chicks in your house, a 60watt bulb will do. I had six chicks in a large aquairum with one of those clamp on lights and at first I had a 100watt bulb in it, but because my house is already 70 degrees, the 100watt made the temp in the aquairum over 105 degrees. So I put in a 60 watt and it put off enough heat so they would be warm. Try it and put a therometer below the heat source and see what reading you get. Good Luck!!
jumpy.gif

Feed stores or Home Hardware or Canadian Tire will have a fixture that will accept up to a 125 watt bulb for about $7, or one that will take up to 250 w heatlamp bulb for about $15.

Do not ever put a bulb in a fixture that says it's not rated for that high wattage of bulb -- it is a serious fire hazard.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
A serious NO NO. I use to have a remodel co. and if you have ever been in a older house where the socket crumble in the light fixtures; that is the problem.
ep.gif

I raised my chicks in the laundry room where my hot water heater and furnace are and used a 60 watt bulb. All 24 are now 10 wks. old and fat, dumb and happy out in the kennel.
thumbsup.gif

Claude

I had trouble getting the temp right with a heat lamp for some reason. Now that I've switched to a 100 watt bulb, I can keep it pretty even at 90-95 degrees for our chicks. They are currently in the garage, with a back up heater going to keep it nice and toasty. Here are a couple of pics of our new gang....all brown egg layers....two Barred Rocks, two Red Sex Links, and 2 Buff Orps. They are pretty amazing already!

24622_newchicks2.jpg

24622_emily1.jpg

Are you raising them inside? If your room temps are pretty warm, a 60W bulb can keep a few chicks warm just fine. Just put it close enough to the ground and the whole thing in a warmer room till you can get a good lamp for them.

Back
Top Bottom