Brooder light question

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
Been thinking about this whole "heat lamp" deal for the brooder I am going to need to build. I am not too crazy about the red heat lamps that are so dangerous. So, after looking at other brooders, I am considering putting in a standard light socket in one of the side walls with a bulb. Wanting opinions on this, and what wattage bulb to use to ensure they are able to stay warm enough in the brooder.
Oh, and how high to mount the light....is there a worry that they will peck at it? I wouldn't want that problem....

I've heard the the red bulb is better because it helps them go to sleep at night since its not too bright compared to a regular one, I have used both kinds and i notices that my chicks grew faster when they had the regular bulb I imagine they stayed up almost 24/7 eating so they developed faster, not 100% sure that was the reason but its a thought.

Will you then cage the bulb after have the socket installed? Fluttering wings as the birds grow out can knock things about. I like the idea. If you are thinking about going to a little more expense for this there are some nicer hanging brooder lamp options. If you double and triple secure at different points, these lamps and keep them out of fluttering wings way you might be okay with them as well. This one from Premier supplies is $30. Pretty sturdy has a hard plastic cage to keep the bulb away from wings and bedding.

Just some thoughts....

A standard light bulb does not produce enough heat to keep the chicks warm. If you don't want to go with a heat lamp, buy a heat plate like an Eco Glow. They are costly but you eliminate fire danger.

We use one of those silver construction clamp lamps with a light bulb called a "brooder bulb"-made by Sylvania 125watt. We bought these from Lowe's. We put our light on top of a screen, but I have never seen them try to peck at it. Seems like we paid about $12 for the whole set up this past spring.

Why do you say the red heat lamps are so dangerous? They project heat but any fire danger from then is pretty minimal.

As far as the chicks getting at the light, I've never had to put the light low enough that they could get at it. As they grow I move the lamp to because they don't need as much heat.

I would say anything beyond a $15 brood lamp with a clamp and red brood bulb is needless expense.

The exterior of those housings get extremely hot....and I have a 6 yr old daughter who still is just a touch too inquisitive sometimes. And if the clamp failef for whatever reason and fell into the brooder, it is plenty hot to set the bedding on fire if it where to lay there long enough.
The less danger the better......for both my family and the chicks! :)

The exterior of those housings get extremely hot....and I have a 6 yr old daughter who still is just a touch too inquisitive sometimes. And if the clamp failef for whatever reason and fell into the brooder, it is plenty hot to set the bedding on fire if it where to lay there long enough.
The less danger the better......for both my family and the chicks! :)
Never rely on the clamp on a heat lamp to hold. I hang mine by a chain looped through the clamp in such a way that it can not fall. It is easier to raise and lower that way to control the heat also. And, I would argue that small/young children should never be allowed around the brooder unattended. They are sweet and small and cute and like things that are also sweet and small and cute...like little chicks and ducklings. Both the child and the birds are at risk of injury if not watched very closely.

Back
Top Bottom