Brooder or Coop?

I don't sweat it. I put a thermometer in the brooder under the lamp and adjust the height of the lamp to get it right and check when it is cool. This is before I get the chicks. I do raise the lamp some when they get bigger, but I do not use a thermometer. If the brooder is big enough for them to be able to find their comfort level, it does not matter if one area is a little too warm and an area is too cool. They will adjust.

Don't try to keep the whole brooder at what you consider the perfect temperature. Let them decide where their comfort zone is. Why make it harder on yourself than you have to?

Quote:
Yes, by raising it and by reducing wattage.

I agree with Ridgerunner, except you may want to put an inexpensive thermometer in there at first, especially if this is your first time with chicks. Also, it's a good idea to set it up and turn it on a day or so before the chicks arrive so you can see just how it will work out. With brooding in a coop, you might even want to check it in the wee hours once or twice. They certainly will let you know whether they want it warmer or cooler, but this might help you learn those signals, too. Mine always wanted it cooler.

I won't brood indoors either. Ever again.

Good luck!

We still have lots of snow and cold weather so I couldn't put them in a coop for a while... but like someone said, what did they do 100 yrs ago?
smile.png

When I got my chicks a year ago, I followed all the rules, had them inside in a 50gallon storage tote, kept them 90 degrees the 1st week, and dropped temp 10 degrees per week, etc, etc, etc.. by the end, I had to make them a large kiddie pool with a cover over it, and there was a fine powdery dust over everything in the room. it was a pain in the butt to clean up. no more will I keep a chick in the house.

I had a pullet go broody last year, so I loaded her up, and she hatched out 3 chicks. On Christmas day. She took care of them well, they weren't under her that often. they liked playing in the snow... so I don't think that they Need to be at x degrees 24 hours a day... they were smart enough to go to mom when they were cold. I am sure that they can do the same with a heat lamp.

I am getting some more chicks this month, I have a broody that I will try to stick them under, but If she doesn't take them, They will NOT come in the house. I have a spot for them in the coop. they should be fine out there with a heat lamp.. I won't be as thorough with these, I will just hang the lamp in the corner. If they need warmth, they will go under it.

live and learn I suppose.

Plenty cold here at night. I started mine in the garage end of January. They were fine. They went to the coop Monday. Still doing fine. Just hang up a heat lamp, and they decide whether they are cold or not. If they are piling up under the lamp, lower it a bit. If they make a ring around the lamp, raise it a bit. If a few are under the lamp, and a few not, that is just right.

I experienced much the same thing as CoffeeCow with my broody hatched chicks. She had them outside at a week old when there was snow on the ground. A healthier bunch of chicks I've never seen.

50 years ago they used a big cardboard box for a very few days and then put them in the brooder house with a big hanging heat lamp in the middle of the 8x10 room. if they didn't have the box handy and the weather wasn't freezing, they went right into the brooder house.
I remember!

Back
Top Bottom