brooder picture. is it safe?

I do but mine is set in a U shape so there's no height adjusting, the chicks when young crawl under the lowest part, and as they grow up move towards side or even sit on top.

Your numbers sound pretty good but yes you can make adjustments if needed once the chicks arrive - if you only need small adjustments to lower the unit you can even put more bedding under the MHP to "raise" the floor instead.
Thanks. I have bolts on either side so it is pretty easy to raise and lower. I think I am going to have to get a bolt for the middle too since I put 2 racks together and it seems to have a bit of a bend with some weight on it and I know the chicks like to jump on it. think it can handle the weight of them the first couple days but not sure once they get bigger so feel it would be better to have something there to hold it up. :) glad I got it set up before the chicks came so I can see what I need to fix.

Good luck with your chicks! Maybe you can post some pictures soon of them enjoying the nice brooder you made up for them! 😊

I got my chicks on Sat. I believe the hatch date was 4/7-4/9 or so....... I have some 2x2's that I don't think I need for my coop/run build. Would that be a good size to put in for a little roost for them? or would a different size be better (we have lots of pieces of wood from the build that I am sure I can find something else too). And I am thinking of putting it in on Sat. They are always up on the MHP and jumping off so think they will enjoy a roost too.

2x2 is fine, they're not picky. They'll enjoy having something to play on.
Thanks. I didn't want to hurt their little feet by putting the wrong size in there. :) I try to give them things to keep them entertained. so far I tried mash (which they tried and walked away from so not a hit) and I put some of their food on a container cover so they can scratch at it and eat it and they LOVE IT. They will leave their food dish to come over to eat this one like it is something new. And I put their food in my hand and they pile on my hand to eat it. Not sure what else to give them besides a roost. :)

Also does anyone use a MHP????? Mine has 9 heat settings it is on 8 right now and they seem quite happy but know you should lower the temp down each week. So thinking I should lower it sometime around Sat. should I go down to 7 or 6? or maybe every 4-5 days go down 1 notch so I am not doing 2 at once? If I only do 1 a week they aren't off the heat until they are 8 weeks old and I don't want that. hahaaa.

This is how it is set up now. Where should I put a roosting bar?

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_151856671.jpg
    IMG_20210414_151856671.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 6
Also does anyone use a MHP????? Mine has 9 heat settings it is on 8 right now and they seem quite happy but know you should lower the temp down each week. So thinking I should lower it sometime around Sat. should I go down to 7 or 6? or maybe every 4-5 days go down 1 notch so I am not doing 2 at once? If I only do 1 a week they aren't off the heat until they are 8 weeks old and I don't want that. hahaaa.
With that many settings, I would just dial down more frequently, like every 4 days. I had 4 or 5 settings on mine, but even then I was dialing it down every 5 days - no reason to wait a full week.

Back
Top Bottom