Brooder plate

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
Hi raising babies chicks for the first time myself , I’ve done a a bunch of hatched but my broodies did all the work but since I don’t have them anymore. I got a brooder plate and I just wondering if it’s too low for them. The first pic is there I had it low in the back and high the front or just low in second picture. Don’t know which one I should have it at. They are all snuggling and sleeping

Attachments

• IMG_7010.jpeg
    IMG_7010.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 14
It's actually a little high if you ask me. It should be at the height right above their backs, to where they have to duck to go under. The plate is mimicking mama bird. And when they're under their mama, they aren't standing straight up. I have only raised baby chicks once so far. But the plate worked perfectly for me. It doesn't get super hot, so it won't burn the chicks. Just raise it as they grow. And you shouldn't have any issues.

Attachments

• 20220904_143236.jpg
    20220904_143236.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220904_143420.jpg
    20220904_143420.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220904_223741.jpg
    20220904_223741.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 13
Agreed with @ShaunJ421. You can lower it a little bit to where they are sitting and not having to stand to stay 'warm'. Them piling up all at one point means they aren't getting warp anywhere else on the plate so i'd suggest getting it pretty low.

I have mine set up at the lowest level almost and they all sit around the edges trying to sleep with their back on the plate.

I'd also double check the temp just to make sure the plate is heating properly.

Great bunch of chickies they look cute!

It's actually a little high if you ask me. It should be at the height right above their backs, to where they have to duck to go under. The plate is mimicking mama bird. And when they're under their mama, they aren't standing straight up. I have only raised baby chicks once so far. But the plate worked perfectly for me. It doesn't get super hot, so it won't burn the chicks. Just raise it as they grow. And you shouldn't have any issues.
Thank you ! I’m going to lower it now.

Agreed with @ShaunJ421. You can lower it a little bit to where they are sitting and not having to stand to stay 'warm'. Them piling up all at one point means they aren't getting warp anywhere else on the plate so i'd suggest getting it pretty low.

I have mine set up at the lowest level almost and they all sit around the edges trying to sleep with their back on the plate.

Thank you ! I checked the brooder and it was 90. I turned it on a couple hours before I got the chicks so it could warm up.

It's actually a little high if you ask me. It should be at the height right above their backs, to where they have to duck to go under. The plate is mimicking mama bird. And when they're under their mama, they aren't standing straight up. I have only raised baby chicks once so far. But the plate worked perfectly for me. It doesn't get super hot, so it won't burn the chicks. Just raise it as they grow. And you shouldn't have any issues
Your chicks are so cute ! 🥰

I lowered it , maybe too low ?

Attachments

• IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 10
Set it so one side is higher and one side is lower. The low side they should be able to touch while sitting, the high side should be high enough that they can stand under it and touch it. That way they can better control how much heat they're receiving while under it.
Thank you !

Set it so one side is higher and one side is lower. The low side they should be able to touch while sitting, the high side should be high enough that they can stand under it and touch it. That way they can better control how much heat they're receiving while under it.
I second this. I've done that with the last couple hatchings and it allows them to set their own temperature.

Back
Top Bottom