Brooder questions

duckduckcaboose

Chirping
Jun 13, 2019
Hi!
Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 ducklings I got from Metzer died last week. They seemed like they were having seizures. After speaking with Ashley at Metzer, she thinks they were probably dropped during shipping. It was a heartbreaking week and I barely left the brooder in my attempt to rehabilitate them.
Metzer is sending me 5 new ducklings that will arrive on Wednesday. I still have 1 of my original ducklings, the silver Appleyard, and she is doing great.
I want to try and keep them all in the same brooder if possible since I will just have the 1 that is older (she will be 2 weeks when they arrive). I ordered a premier 1 heat plate to insure that there is enough room for everyone to get warm without laying on top of each other. Here's my current brooder set up.
20200329_092746.jpg
20200329_092719.jpg

The 55 gallon tote obviously won't fit everything I need. I have this dog pool that I can either set up as a brooder (though I'm concerned about drafts with the new duckies) OR I can cut a hole in the side of the tote and keep the heating stuff set up in the tote and move the food and water out to the dog pool area so they can go back and forth. Which would you do?
Also, I have bigger and smaller food and water dishes, the size I have in there currently is working well for my 1 duck, but I can definitely size up/down.
Another concern I have is how to feed the different ages. Going by Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, I would go down to 16-18% protein at 2 weeks of age and free feed only 15 minutes at a time 3x a day.
I currently have my duckling on Scratch and Peck Chick Starter which is 20% protein and that's what I plan to feed the new babies as well. So in this situation what would you do? I'm not sure I can keep the older duckling out of the higher protein chick starter, especially if I only free feed her 3x a day. How important is it that she transitions to less protein when she is 2 weeks old?

I’ve never heard of feeding duckling only 3x a day I have the book and will have to go back an read. At their young age I keep food an water out 24/7 and they get chick starter until they move outside around 4 to 5 weeks depending on temps. Then they switch to an All flock crumble. And they are on it the rest of their lives. I love your set up I’d def make an opening inside the tote for heat my ducklings love huddling inside a cardboard box under their heat lamp. I stopped using the heat plate because I was worried they weren’t going under to get warm I went back to the lamp I got from Premier 1. Put your food an water right outside your tote. Where are you keeping this set up?

I’ve never heard of feeding duckling only 3x a day I have the book and will have to go back an read. At their young age I keep food an water out 24/7 and they get chick starter until they move outside around 4 to 5 weeks depending on temps. Then they switch to an All flock crumble. And they are on it the rest of their lives. I love your set up I’d def make an opening inside the tote for heat my ducklings love huddling inside a cardboard box under their heat lamp. I stopped using the heat plate because I was worried they weren’t going under to get warm I went back to the lamp I got from Premier 1. Put your food an water right outside your tote. Where are you keeping this set up?
I have the brooder in my bedroom. It's on the top floor of my house though so this room doesn't stay as warm as I'd like. The ambient temp is currently at 69 degrees. At night I usually cover one side of the tote with a blanket to help retain heat and create more of a nest type atmosphere. Scratch and Peck does say on their packaging that ducklings stay on the chick starter for 4 weeks before switching to grower feed, but I just didn't know if I should go by the book I have. The suggested feeding schedule in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is on page 202.
Thank you for your advice on the brooder!

Holdrread states that if moderate growth is desired you can limit feeding to three times a day, I'd just give them food 24/7 since at least for most of us duck owners controlling their feed intake isn't really a concern for the majority of us.

Holdrread states that if moderate growth is desired you can limit feeding to three times a day, I'd just give them food 24/7 since at least for most of us duck owners controlling their feed intake isn't really a concern for the majority of us.
Thank you! Since I had 3 die I'm questioning everything. I've wanted ducks for years and now that I can finally have them I don't want to mess it up.

Back
Top Bottom