Brooder setup opinions

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
This is our current setup. I have a small space heater blowing on the bin keeping it between 82-85 degrees. I have a heat plate coming today. We orginally had a heat lamp until I read how bad those were.
I will be adding a bowl of grit/ sand bath bowl.
I feel like I am missing something.
Also, advice on waterers. I have a nipple one outside with my big girls and they hate it. I'm assuming I should introduce a nipple waterer to the chicks sooner rather than later, right?

Attachments

• 20210308_092918_HDR.jpg
    20210308_092918_HDR.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 32
I found a cute waterer that has openings for two nipples on one side and two at a higher level on the other side (for when the chicks are a few weeks old). Don’t have the girls yet so I can’t attest to how well it works yet.

I found a cute waterer that has openings for two nipples on one side and two at a higher level on the other side (for when the chicks are a few weeks old). Don’t have the girls yet so I can’t attest to how well it works yet.
Where did you get it from? I have the one from Premier 1 supplies and my big girls don't care for it.

This is our current setup. I have a small space heater blowing on the bin keeping it between 82-85 degrees. I have a heat plate coming today. We orginally had a heat lamp until I read how bad those were.
I will be adding a bowl of grit/ sand bath bowl.
I feel like I am missing something.
Also, advice on waterers. I have a nipple one outside with my big girls and they hate it. I'm assuming I should introduce a nipple waterer to the chicks sooner rather than later, right?
More ventilation is what you're missing.
Can you place a screen over the top instead of the lid?

I'd take that lid off. Chicks need a lot of air circulation and ventilation. Once they start to fly a little, cover it with something like chicken wire or a grate. I regularly use the extra oven rack from my oven as a brooder lid.
I have to have a well attached lid to protect them from the toddler and the cats.

Attachments

• 20210308_091128_HDR.jpg
    20210308_091128_HDR.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 22
I have to have a well attached lid to protect them from the toddler and the cats.

I can drill more holes in the lid. There are about 65 holes in the lid.
Do you have a spare room that the chicks can go into so you can give better ventilation?

Back
Top Bottom