Brooder setup opinions

What year is the 3rd addtion from? A quick google search turned up an article from cackle hatchery sourcing Gail Damerow from 2017 saying that continuous light should only be used for the first 48 hours in a new brooder.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-take-care-of-baby-chickens/

Third edition looks like it is 2010. I know there is a newer edition, though I don't own it to be able to check if they've updated the section.

Thank you for linking to that! The position that chicks continue to need light for proper growth (after the first period of getting them settled in) hasn't fully made sense to me, so I'm encouraged to see that Damerow (an expert I have great respect for) looks like she advocates for that now. If you find any other helpful info, please do share! :)

Here is some better pictures. I was trapped earlier by a sleeping baby and had to ask my 5yr old for pictures.

That is a fabulous idea! I too, am frequently trapped by a sleeping baby lol.
How many chicks are you planning to house in there?

Here is some better pictures. I was trapped earlier by a sleeping baby and had to ask my 5yr old for pictures.

Best part of those pictures is the 2D rooster testing out the brooder to make sure it will be acceptable for the new chicks. :lol:

I love your setup!

So my warming plate came and my husband redesigned the lid. There are also a few holes on the food and water side to help ventilate.

Attachments

• 20210308_191019.jpg
    20210308_191019.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 7
Brilliant design on the lid, to provide secure ventilation while retaining structural integrity!

Back
Top Bottom