Brooder temp drop

yoopergirl1211

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 12, 2016
Erie PA
Hi. From what I've read I have to drop temp down from 90 to 85 after a week. I did it but all of the chicks are huddling together under it now. Should I put it back up or is the lower temp something they need to get used to? Thanks!

You've noticed your chicks behavior, good. Now you only need to act on it. They are telling you they need stronger heat.

The height of your heat lamp, and I'm assuming you are using a lamp, not a heating pad or heat plate, depends on the ambient temp - the cooler the room, the warmer the heat source needs to be.

Remember, the entire brooder should not be the same temp as under the heat source. Only measure the temp directly beneath it.

Agreed. This is one reason why I am so passionate about using a heating pad cave brooder instead of the heat lamp. Mama hen does not drop her temp 5* every week. Whether her chicks are 1 day old, or 3 weeks old, it's still the same temp under her. No matter the age of her chicks, they run under her to warm up. They also run under her if they are scared, and simply for a bit of mother love. Heat lamp chicks don't have that same option. It's so very easy to over heat, or even chill your chicks if using a heat lamp. I've seen brooder set ups in plastic totes with heat lamps that scare me. Most often because of the huge risk of overheating the chicks.

I check the temp on both sides every couple hours. The cool side runs from 68-72 and my heat side is normally right around 90. Typically the chicks are spread out heading from one side to the other as needed. I haven't seen any of the panting or hiding on cool side yet. I have them in house right now. Was worried about putting them in coop because of winter but my husband did make an area that can be divided off in the coop for them and rigged with heat lamps.
Should I just leave the heat the way it is till I notice them moving away from it?

Yes. You have established a good temperature spread. Continue to allow the behavior of the chicks to determine the height of the heat lamp.

You do not need to continue measuring the temperature. Usually you need only measure it once to determine the height of the heat (shudder) lamp. From then on, you should watch the behavior of the chicks to determine their heat needs.

If you haven't yet explored the idea of switching to the heating pad system, I urge you to look into it. It's liberating as compared to the heat lamp in just about every way. No measuring temperature, no heat stress dangers, no light stress from having a light focused on them for 24 hours around the clock, tremendous savings in energy, more natural, and much much safer.

Yes. You have established a good temperature spread. Continue to allow the behavior of the chicks to determine the height of the heat lamp.

You do not need to continue measuring the temperature. Usually you need only measure it once to determine the height of the heat (shudder) lamp. From then on, you should watch the behavior of the chicks to determine their heat needs.

If you haven't yet explored the idea of switching to the heating pad system, I urge you to look into it. It's liberating as compared to the heat lamp in just about every way. No measuring temperature, no heat stress dangers, no light stress from having a light focused on them for 24 hours around the clock, tremendous savings in energy, more natural, and much much safer.

I will definitely do that. Chick's were on our spring to do list but I ended up being able to get BLR Wyandotte chicks that I thought I'd have to wait a while for last week so I had to get ready rather quickly. Like in less than 24 hrs lol. Thank you for the info!

Your chicks are telling you they need warmer temps. When I first started on BYC they would recommend temp. starting at 95 F and lowering by 5 degrees with each succeeding week- by the time they are fully feathered out, they don't need extra heat.

A starting point is no less than 85 for chicks the first week....i never follow the thermometer ... I go by how the Chicks are behaving....If all are running around softly peeping and having fun? Things are good... If they are piled and peeping they are cold....If all sprawled out and not cuddled its too warm.......Chicks will let you know!!!

Cheers!

Hi again! So the chicks are getting older and I'm wondering when it'll be okay to move them down to the coop? I have part of the coop already split from the big girls and I can hook up heat lamp. They are almost all feathered out

Well everyone but this girl/boy

I'm not sure why she's so far behind and I'm worried if I move them out she might not be okay.

Edited: I've also kept the lamp the hole time with only slight changes because they never act like it's too hot? They are a month old now and I'm not sure when to take it away?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom