BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Our first we were clueless and they lived in this cardboard box with newspaper which I changed every 3 hours.

They escaped a lot...
Then we put them in the brooder in the coop

The new babies are in an old pack n play/ portable crib! We will bring them to the outside brooder box in a few weeks.

has an open dividers in the middle so when they outgrow 1 side they can go to the otherthe right side has plexiglass on the top bottom and front for extra heat. and a cheap Home Depot vent in the roof for heat regulating

Great post. My wife and I just got our baby chicks yesterday from our local TSC and are using a bin we had laying in our garage. Don't know the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but it's pretty massive and my chicks seem to love the space. Still working on getting the heat just right and am a little worried they may be getting to hot. When I check on them, sometimes they are under the light and then other times they are just hanging out by the food dish and water. Do you think maybe the heat is to high?

I love how your beautiful lab is just so curious. My poor Boston Terrier is blind and deaf so she doesn't even know we have new babies in the house.

Hope your girls are doing good and growing nicely. :D

Great post. My wife and I just got our baby chicks yesterday from our local TSC and are using a bin we had laying in our garage. Don't know the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but it's pretty massive and my chicks seem to love the space. Still working on getting the heat just right and am a little worried they may be getting to hot. When I check on them, sometimes they are under the light and then other times they are just hanging out by the food dish and water. Do you think maybe the heat is to high?

I love how your beautiful lab is just so curious. My poor Boston Terrier is blind and deaf so she doesn't even know we have new babies in the house.

Hope your girls are doing good and growing nicely. :D

Sounds like you might have it right. Make sure you have a warm spot they can lay under (like a mother hen) and cooler spots they can go to if they are not cold. Remember chicks raised by a mother hen are not under the mother most of the time.

Congratulations on your new babies and
welcome-byc.gif
you are going to love it here!!

Last edited:
I just built a brooder, roughly 36 sq ft, in our basement. I used pallets and stapled cardboard to them so they couldn't get through the slats. I will have 21 chix in there for roughly 6 weeks while my DH builds the coop. My question for you all is this: my basement temp is only 56 degrees since we heat with a woodstove and so the furnace doesn't get to throw off any heat. Will the chicks be warm enough with a heating lamp in that size area? Should I get 2??? Should I partition the area to make it smaller the first few weeks?

here's a picture of my brooder. we had to upgrade. they were outgrowing the 50 gal plastic bin I had before. will post before/after pics :)

Before: 50 gal plastic bin;

After: Puppy X-Pen.

They are loving it, they are 2 weeks, The khakis will be 3 weeks on Monday, not long until they can go outside!
I covered the xpen with chicken wire- they kept escaping or at least trying to with just the xpen. And lined bottom with tarp and ziptied it to the sides so we can contain the bedding :)

Last edited:
Hello! I need help/advice. I am new to ALL of this. I have 17 chicks (3 weeks old) in one brooder and 12 chicks (btw 4 days and 1 week old) in another. I am quickly running out of room! The older ones went from being in a small recycled plastic tub to being in a home built cage that is 28" x 70" and they seem to be out growing that as well.

How much room will they need before going outside?

If you have 17 or more chicks in a brooder, please post a picture for me to see how big it is. I would like to only build one more cage for each of my groups of chicks. LOL

Thank you,
Elizabeth
yippiechickie.gif

Hello! I need help/advice. I am new to ALL of this. I have 17 chicks (3 weeks old) in one brooder and 12 chicks (btw 4 days and 1 week old) in another. I am quickly running out of room! The older ones went from being in a small recycled plastic tub to being in a home built cage that is 28" x 70" and they seem to be out growing that as well.

How much room will they need before going outside?

If you have 17 or more chicks in a brooder, please post a picture for me to see how big it is. I would like to only build one more cage for each of my groups of chicks. LOL

Thank you,
Elizabeth
yippiechickie.gif

This my big brooder that I move the babies to when they outgrow the large plastic tubs in the house. The big brooder is in my pole building.

This brooder is made from one and a half sheets of flake board with braces in the corners. It does not have a bottom except for a heavy duty tarp. It is all screwed together so it is easy to take apart and store after use. It is 8' long x 4' wide and 2' high. There is a hardware cloth divider in the center that is removable so you can have different ages of chicks separate. I made 4 top panels for easy access. The tops are just furring strips with hardware cloth stapled to them and metal braces to hold them together. I have a heat lamp and Reveal natural light bulb on each side.

You could also make one that is 4' x 4' if you don't need as much room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom