BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Yes yes yes I love it. You made a good deal. Never throw out ( or drive past ) a cheap piece of furniture until you have 100 nest boxes and are selling them too.

When you go to a lumber store, the smaller the lumber, the more expensive it seems to cost !!! But the best lumber comes from furniture, draws in particular !!! I always grab them because they have the best wood for making nest boxes out of. Oh and the price is right, of course !

If you buy wood, you ALWAYS REGRET IT when you make a mistake you think OMG that just COST ME $XX.XX when you think Naa and chuck it and start again using recycled free wood, you think 'I'm rich and can afford to do that, HAhaHAhaHAha'

Furniture looks great converted to cages. Just pull out drawers and thumbtack wire on half the time. Keep and use the doors by cutting the middles out.

Yes yes yes I love it. You made a good deal. Never throw out ( or drive past ) a cheap piece of furniture until you have 100 nest boxes and are selling them too. When you go to a lumber store, the smaller the lumber, the more expensive it seems to cost !!! But the best lumber comes from furniture, draws in particular !!! I always grab them because they have the best wood for making nest boxes out of. Oh and the price is right, of course ! If you buy wood, you ALWAYS REGRET IT when you make a mistake you think OMG that just COST ME $XX.XX when you think Naa and chuck it and start again using recycled free wood, you think 'I'm rich and can afford to do that, HAhaHAhaHAha' Furniture looks great converted to cages. Just pull out drawers and thumbtack wire on half the time. Keep and use the doors by cutting the middles out.
Wow! Look at that! Beautiful!!! As for the repurposing, that's what I'm thinking. How can hubby be bothered when I'm being so practical?!? Lol

Soooo, believe it or not, I went to go get the cheap mini coop/brooder and the woman says, "Oh- we just sold it."! Seriously! I was so ticked!!! So- I went back on Craig's list and found three more- the first, and obvious choice- the two story rabbit hutch... What do you think, @Blooie ?

I think I'll take it when you're done with it!

I think I'll take it when you're done with it!
Ha! I'll cute you when DH freaks out over the influx of "treasures"... I KNOW I'd be able to sell repurposed 'Cabinet Coops'!
1f609.png

I've been pretty happy with mine so far! I bolted 2-4ft baby pools together and cut a hole out of the top one. The screen is part of an extension pen from my coop. It has been so easy to clean, roomy, and works well with my EcoGlow. For the first few days in I use puppy pee pads from the dollar store. Best of all- I grabbed the pools at the end of summer: $3 a piece!

I've been pretty happy with mine so far! I bolted 2-4ft baby pools together and cut a hole out of the top one. The screen is part of an extension pen from my coop. It has been so easy to clean, roomy, and works well with my EcoGlow. For the first few days in I use puppy pee pads from the dollar store. Best of all- I grabbed the pools at the end of summer: $3 a piece!
Oh! I love the puppy pad idea! I scored this rabbit hutch and plan on using it as an outdoor grow out coop...and this awesome cabinet to repurpose as a brooder we can keep inside. Tips and advice welcomed!!!

That is pretty sweet! I am going to use my main dog crate - its all enclosed and the cats won't be able to get to the babies - best of all, I don't have to lock the top part of the crate on, so I can just lift the top off to clean - easy on my back and safe for the babies - plus they get to be in our living room and get used to all of us - hoping that will make them tamer after they grow up.

I have tried both the trough style and round feeders. Both get litter in them. I boosted it up with a 1x2 and then a brick as the chicks get bigger and that helps keep the litter out. We do the same for water, even in the big coop for the adults. They are super messy though for a couple of weeks.

That's a good idea. I have been looking for something that is cat proof because the totes with mesh screen are not. The chickens were here before the cat so we don't have any experience keeping him out!

Back
Top Bottom