BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Here's mine...an old doghouse. The roof is hinged.
DSCN0458-1.jpg
[/img]

I used to have this:

brooderroom.jpg

But finally converted an old tack shed (6 ft wide, 5.5 ft tall, 3.5 ft deep) in the garage to this:

tackshed6.jpg

tackshed5.jpg

Left side (has the heat lamp hanging and solid door on this side to hold in heat)
chickenhouse3.jpg

chickenhouse1.jpg

The actual solid door on the right is still attached, just "open"...the mesh door is attached with two slide bolts on top and two on bottom so can be removed completely....in case of very cold weather, I could close both solid doors (probably need to add a window somewhere).

I also made a temporary playpen so the two big kids can go outside. Not predator proof so they only stay out in nice weather during daytime. It is 4x4 and 3 feet tall. I may end up pulling off the plastic hardware cloth and replacing with "real" stuff...maybe building a coop on top? We'll see.

temppen2.jpg

Ours is a terrarium my hubby built for his bearded dragon who has since passed. so far so good! Although the chicks peck at the "grass" on the walls!
17502_img_1035.jpg

17502_img_1034.jpg

Last edited:
chickenbrooder.jpg

Just a simple plastic container is working good so far for me, I've had my chicks for about 30 hours.

Last edited:
My hubby built this in a few hours using $10 worth of scrap wood we found from the scrap wood bin at Home Depot. We had some small pieces of chicken wire sitting around. He has now also made a couple of roosts for the banties inside the coop.

9392_brooder_1.jpg

9392_img_0722.jpg

27444_004_2.jpg

first time chicken raiser here. in fact the chicks arrive in 10 days .... will this brooder work ? it is a dog kennel turned brooder. i just put cardboard on the sides, pine shavings on the floor, light on top. any suggestions ? the kennel is approx 2' x 3' and i will have 9 chicks.....

peep peep

Back
Top Bottom