BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Thanks for the info Judy. I think that I am now going to put the brooder in my 1/2 bath in my bedroom and see how that works. They would still stay warm if the bulb burned out and I could keep and eye on them too. Thanks again....Laura

Last year I used a sheep tank, then upgraded to a stock tank. This past weekend I built my own brooder. I don't have pics yet, but will get them up as soon as I find my camera and clean up the mess I made making it in my basement. I still have to add my light fixtures, door handle, and opening door on the bottom or put in a drawer, but otherwise it's done.
Here it is!
100_2757.jpg

100_2758.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my home made brooder. It constructed from salvaged pallets and some left over particle board.
It is about 4'x2'x2' and about 2' off the ground.
The window was saved from last year when I replaced all the house windows. I have about $13 in it total with lamp and feeders\\waterers and hardware.

Enjoy,

Dirt.

Brooder-with-top-4-upld.jpg

Peeps-thru-window-4-upld.jpg

Peeps-1-To-Share.jpg

How high do the sides have to be on a brooder for Cornish X's? I don't want to have to mess with building a top for it, and I was thinking about building it two feet tall, soas to be efficient for 8ft lumber usage. I know they're lazy when they get bigger, but how about when small? Would chicks be safe from jumping out with two foot walls, or should I just build a top? And how about size- I'm starting out with 25 birds, but if all goes well, I'm getting 50 more later in the summer, and would use the same brooder. I'm thinking of building it 4'x4'. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
My two cornish hens would have no problem jumping 2' at 4 weeks old so i'd go 4' and plan on them using any roosts to hop out and explore. they arent as lazy as you'd think LOL

Farmer Mack
cool.png
yippiechickie.gif

Here are a few pictures of what I used last year. I think this year I want to raise it up off the floor a bit and find a way to put a filter and fan near it to minimize the dust.
HPIM0517.jpg

EmptySection.jpg

HPIM0516.jpg

Quote:
I have 40 eggs to hatch out and was wondering how big a brooder I would need. Please keep me posted as to how quickly your guys outgrow their brooder. Which btw came out very nice.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom