Brooder under the poop boards - finally made up my mind

Toothpick

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2016
TN
After a few weeks of debating what to do I finally decided to put the brooder under the poop board and get it done today. First hatch will be in about 20 days. 14 eggs in the incubator. From what you all have told me brooding in the coop will make integration a whole lot easier.

Next step will be to get a heater, probably gonna go with the Brinsea chick heater board thing.
Then set up a bucket with the nipples on it for water.

I’m also thinking it will get pretty hot in there once they are feathered, but not quite ready to mingle with the larger chicks. So I’m going to make a chick door on the left side and fence in an area where they can go in and out to the fresh air and grass.

CEDAFF47-6BB4-4245-9B22-2A22D799A4C7.jpeg

4879E8A5-865C-4839-92A4-DC7FDBBA7D1E.jpeg

Looking real good and making use of space, if the walls are removable when you don't have chicks then you have more space for the pullets and hens.

Make sure when you open the doors to clean you get down low as possible so they don't think your an airborne threat. They are hardwired to flee from anything approaching from above.

JT

Still got work to do but the run within a run is in progress. So the new chicks will be able to safely interact with the old birds.

Gotta put a door on the chicken door and a door on the run. I’ll probably put a net over the top to keep any from flying out or in.

So in theory, the new chicks should be fully “isolated” from the old chicks until they get used to each other.

0A0E085A-B48F-41C7-AFEB-6966EB1EE6E1.jpeg

They were all huddled by the water so one by one I shoved them under the heater. I think they realized that’s a much better place to be because only a few came back out. The older chickens act like they are afraid of them. They all moved to the far end of the run and are hanging out.

Back
Top Bottom