Brooder Variation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mangus580, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mangus580

mangus580 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Figured I would share a couple pics of a 'new' brooder concept I put together tonight. I used 8" galvanized ducting to create a 'coupler' between 2 sterlite totes. The smaller tote has woodchips in it, and the larger one has their food & water (and maybe a play tub in the future) The 2 just slip together allowing easy separation of the tubs for cleaning. i even picked up a 'cap' to put on the end of the one, so I can lock them in the smaller tote while I clean the bigger one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also got to play in some water while I was cleaning their tote.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Don't you just LOVE plastic totes? I just made an outside duck house for my boys. They must like it because after the first night in it they put themselves to bed and I lock the door behind them.

I would've thought they'd slide around on the bottom of the one without bedding.

[​IMG]

p.s. love the video. that diving and swimming underwater was ADORABLE!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. mangus580

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Well, it does seem to work decent... A mere 8 hours later and the 'water' tote is a MESS... but the chips are dry!!

We are going to try adding a puppy pad for the next round.....

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Brilliant! [​IMG]

I have thought that kind of setup might work. I echo dianaross77's suggestion that traction in the feeder/waterer section is important, in order to avoid splay leg and other leg injuries. Something with traction. Old towel? The no-skid fabric some people use in their kitchen cabinets?

How did you avoid sharp edges with the ducting? I've found that ducklings can get themselves into the most unexplainable trouble with sticking their heads into gaps, and poking around with sharp things, and tripping, and rubbing against sticky things, and . . . . .

5. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Nice set up, I will have to remember that for next time! Though I might use puppy pads where the food and water is to give them some traction. [​IMG]

6. mangus580

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Puppy Pad in place now....

The smallest one decided to take a swim in the water jug this morning!! Guess I made the hole too big....

I havent done anything about sharp edges yet, but considering putting some duct tape over them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by